• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNashville Tn

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Three websites I've created using builder:

insideoutfitnesstnDOTcom
attorneymorrisseyDOTcom
midtnbiofuelsDOTcom

As you can see, all three sites are modified from the original themes I used (especially two of them). Without Builder, these sites would have been much more difficult to modify, especially by someone like myself with minimal markup knowledge.

I do wish more of the builder themes were more basic and modern in terms of aesthetics, because I'm always having to spend a great deal of time changing the css. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be great if more of the builder themes included the following:

• Less dated layouts...many of the themes have strange header layouts. Most modern website have a logo on the left with the menu on the right, yet for whatever reason many of the builder themes have the menu below the logo, taking up unnecessary page viewing space.

• It can be very time consuming trying to take a theme and break it down to something more minimalist. It would be great if more of the themes offered more modern aesthetics (simple, minimal, well though out layout, clean).

• Here is an example of a top selling, modern looking, clean theme that I wish ithemes would offer something like: http://themetrust.com/demos/mindful/. It would be great to have a portfolio setup like that theme right out of the box. Especially the large image portfolio with the optional slider ready to go, the hover over portfolio thumbnail option (as seen on the home page), a contact form ready to go rather than having to install cforms every time. I see other theme providers doing this, so why can't ithemes? I understand they're trying to promote the gravity contact form or whatever but why would people want to pay a lot of money for a basic contact form...why not just build a simple contact form instead and implement it into the themes? This is what many other theme providers do. A plain, white/grey contact form ready to go. No css changes really needed because grey and white go good with any color scheme.

I really like builder, I just wish some of these suggestions would one day be implemented or offered. I figure I'd mention them again here since previous attempts in the builder suggestions section seem to have fallen on deaf ears in the many months since my posting of them.

#2 Cynthia Lay

Cynthia Lay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hey Derek -

Great job! I especially like the attorney's website. Which child theme did you begin with?

Cynthia

#3 needforname

needforname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNashville Tn

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hey Cynthia, thanks I appreciate it. Expansion was used for the attorney site. I prefer a cleaner white background so I had to remove all of the container stylings, etc. I'm also not a fan of the dated looking gradient button stylings that are used in the theme's navigation, so I removed all of that. Cforms (free plugin) was used for the contact page form.

#4 Cynthia Lay

Cynthia Lay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Nice! I've never used Expansion -- mainly because I don't care for that grey background.

I hadn't tried envisioning it with white. (DUH) It's kinda neat that way! LOL

Most of my sites begin with Foundation Blank, but I'm thinking that I need to "branch out" and try some of the others. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

#5 needforname

needforname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNashville Tn

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I've yet to use Foundation Cynthia, maybe I'll try it out one day. Yeah, I wish they offered more basic versions of their themes. Getting rid of that horrible header/logo on top and menu below layout would be a huge step for their themes too (at least in my opinion). I frankly don't understand the whole double menu look going on in many of the themes either. Oh well. I hate to gripe, but by making my opinion known, I'm hoping that the developers will actually take note. Who knows.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: builder, attorney, fitness, simple, clean, site, minimal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users