Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Can Backup Buddy Plugin Handle A Very Large Blog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tom_*

Guest_Tom_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm strongly considering purchasing Backup Buddy to backup my large design blog.

When I say large I mean hundreds of posts often containing dozens of hundreds of fairly large images. I can't remember the total size of my last backup but it was many GB (I think 8).

I wanted to know if Backup Buddy can handle backups for a site of this size.

Also, would this hinder getting the site back online? Downloading then reuploading the site from a service like s3 would take forever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Tom.

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,515 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi Tom,

It would depend on the server/host. BackupBuddy itself can handle that fine as it has no limits but if the server isn't good (maybe because it is cheap, overloaded, or shared hosting) then it could struggle backing up that large of a site in time before the server's max PHP runtime cuts it off.

8GB is getting on up there in size and not every server will be able to handle that, 32bit servers even could have issues with the size of a file being that big and may need to be a 64bit server.

I've seen sites that big get backed up though so it can work, just probably not for low-quality servers.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Tom_*

Guest_Tom_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hey Dustin. Well I'm running a $300pm dedicated server. The site easily handles 200,000 unique visits per month, so I'm assuming server wise I should be fine for backup buddy usage?

I'll ask my host to double check about PHP runtimes.

Thanks for your help.

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately it's hard to say as there are many variables. 8GB is a lot, BackupBuddy itself CAN handle that but everything must be set up just right: have 64bit support, a large maximum PHP runtime, and not have anything that could go and kill the processes that are running a long time.

An ideal solution for such a large site is to have something on the server or something back up all these massive files and use BackupBuddy for a database backup or site with all all these big files excluded. Web servers & PHP aren't really designed or configured for this type of thing by default so this all kind of falls under a special setup.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_David Solomon_*

Guest_David Solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

I understand that Hostgator has a 50mb limit (according to their support line).  My database is 128mb.
Does BackupBuddy breakup the file into smaller downloadable and uploadable parts to get around that limit.
And yes, I did make the changes in the php.ini file, but their limit overrides that.

#6 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi David

A 50MB limit on what - please be more specific?

For your database, 128MB isn't a particularly large database assuming you mean uncompressed - database dumps tend to compress quite well so you would expect a compressed backup of a database with that size to be relatively small.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."