Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Restoring A Backup To A New Server

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Quintin_*

Guest_Quintin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hi there.
I am busy moving my site and blog to a new server.
The site uses wordpress and of course, so does my blog.
I see that when i want to use "restore/migrate" it says I must upload the backup file and importbuddy.php to the root web directory of the destination server. Do not install WordPress on the destination server. The importbuddy.php script will restore all files, including WordPress.

My questions are:
--------------------
My blog is currently a subdomain, so mydomain.com/blog and the main site is in the root dir.
Do i put the backup file and importbuddy.php into the "/blog" folder or in the root?
Especially as the main site is in the root.

I have already installed wordpress and confirgured the main site, will backup buddy install a new wordpress installation for the blog?

thanks in advance.

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hi Quintin,

Can you login (should be the same username and password you use to access your member panel) and post your questions in the BackupBuddy forum?  That's where you'll need to go to get the help you need.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_quintin_*

Guest_quintin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Hi Elise, thanks fopr the reply.
I tried that - i cannot login.
I got my password sent to me, tried to login, but it just kept saying "Username or password incorrect."

So now i am stuck...

I actually wanted to know how long a restore takes.
I left it going last night and this morning it was still on step 3 of 7 -

Extracting files into path:

/home/XXXX/public_html/blog

Attempting high speed extraction (normal mode) ...

is there a way i can restore it by extracting the files using the Cpanel instead?

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,344 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

what is your iThemes username? So I can have a closer look at your account,

thanks,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 gulfshoremedia

gulfshoremedia

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Maybe this has been answered by someone previously but here goes- I am testing a restore to a diff server. The goal is to have a solid disaster recover methods for our magazine's websites.

We have a Multisite installation (I know BUB is in beta for Multi-site but I am asking anyway)
  • Ran Backup Buddy full backup (1.78GB total)

• 'Sent' the backup to a remote webserver via FTP (worked great)

• 'Sent' ImportBuddy to same server

• Ran import buddy

• File extraction went great

• Made it to step 4 of 6 (database restore) where it froze
The screen had the spinning graphic all night (yes- I decided to let it go to see what happened). For the first 3 hours, I periodically checked the DB with PHPMyAdmin and watched my WordPress DB climb to a max of 228 tables on page 2 of 2 of the DB Structure tab of PHPMyAdmin. I noticed that the total number of rows across ALL tables on page 2 of 2 climb steadily until it reached about 230k rows. After a few mins, it showed the total num rows to be 217k, then 238k, then 209k, and so on and so on. I gave up watching this number change after a couple of hours.

I am assuming step 5 or 6 is where it re-configures wp-config.php with the NEW server parameters it asked me for at the beginning of the process because when I opened the file, it still had the OLD server information.

So- Can anyone offer some suggestions? (the attached screen grab is from an attempt earlier in the same day with the same result)
Mark Bolden
Web Design Professional

#6 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,344 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

@gulfshoremedia, please post this in the Backupbuddy support forum: http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/74-backupbuddy/ since it is a support request, and not a pre-sales inquiry,

thanks!
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#7 gulfshoremedia

gulfshoremedia

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks
Mark Bolden
Web Design Professional