Backupbuddy: How Does Full Backup Work For Multisite

multisite backupbuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Max P_*

Guest_Max P_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi,

I'd like to know if the "full site" backup will create a single file for each site.

What I need to do is to restore a single site of my multisite installation if this site has been hacked, corrupted or else.

In order to do that, I want a single backup of each site everyday so that I can easily restore a single site to the state it was X days ago.

How can BackupBuddy can help me with that?

Thanks

#2 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hello Max,

Welcome to the iThemes Community Forums!

It sounds like BackupBuddy is exactly what you're looking for. You'll be able to make individual backups for each site, and restore accordingly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#3 Guest_Max P_*

Guest_Max P_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

2 more questions:
- How does it work to schedule individual backup for each site? Is it done in 1 single place for all sites or do I have to set it up on each site?
- Which licence do I need to buy for 1 multisite server running around 40 sites?

Thanks

#4 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hey Max,

You'll setup a schedule to backup the whole network, not each site itself. You can individually export the single sites manually from the backup page.

You'll only need one license per multi-site network.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#5 Guest_Jan Koch_*

Guest_Jan Koch_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

Hi, Backupbuddy seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Is it possible to integrate a single WP installation into an existing multisite WP at another server?

Thanks,
Jan

#6 Guest_Max P_*

Guest_Max P_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi Gerroald,

Thanks again for your answer.

However, your answer is not 100% clear to me.

If I schedule a backup for the whole network, will it be possible to restore a single site from that backup?

I currently have some simples scripts that create a daily backup(DB+files) to recover from a network/server crash. What I need is a way to recover from a single site crash. If the site has crashed, it's obviously too late to export a backup manually :)

Thanks in advance for your help

#7 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hey Jan & Max,

@Jan - Yes, you can use a backup from a single site and restore it into a multisite.

@Matt - My apologies, I consulted further and you can not restore a single site from a whole multisite backup. You'll actually export the individual sites. You can store your backups locally or offsite so in the case of a crash you can have access to them. You will have to manually move these backups. Below is more information from our codex for you to review.

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy_Multisite

I should also let you know that Multisite is in BETA, and their has been some issues.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#8 Guest_Max P_*

Guest_Max P_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hi Gerroald,

Thanks for your answer.

So now I understand that I can't restore a single site from a "whole network" backup. But is it possible to schedule single site backup?

It wouln't be a problem for me to schedule a single site backup with Backupbuddy each time I created a new site. When you say "You'll actually export the individual sites", it sound like a manual task and I can't do it manually. It has to be scheduled. I have less than 100 sites so even if single site backup is very intensive, it wouldn't take to much time.

In the end, what I want is to prepare myself against site crash so that I can restore a single site as it was the day before the crash. How can BackupBuddy help me with that?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I need to be 100% sure that your product meet my needs before buying it.

Regards
Max aka Matt :P

#9 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hello Max :smile:,

You're correct, you'll have to manually backup the sites. Scheduling the backups isn't a feature that Multisite supports. If you're wanting the backups daily, I can see how this may not be the best option for you.

It's also important to mention that Multisite is still in "BETA" and may not be the best solution for an actual production site.

No worries about the questions, that's why we're here! We want to make sure you know exactly what you're purchasing, and how it will benefit you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#10 Guest_Max P_*

Guest_Max P_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

It's too bad that BackupBuddy can't help me because it looks like a very solid plugin.

Maybe you can explain my situation to the developper so that they can plan something for a future release. I'll keep an eye on backupbuddy in case this feature comes up :)

Regards,
Maxime

#11 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hey Max,

It is a wonderful plugin! I will make sure the developers are aware of your interest in the Multisite portion. When I get any news for you I'll post it here.

Thank you for your interest in BackupBuddy!

Please let us know if you ever have any questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#12 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm also interested in seamless backup of individual sites in a multisite network.  And perhaps interested in importing single sites into a multisite network with BackupBuddy.

#13 Guest_brooke_*

Guest_brooke_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thank you Max P for asking all those questions!!!! I am looking for the exact same functionality that you are requesting from Backup Buddy! I look forward to updates on this! If you find any solutions to this by using another method other than Backup Buddy, I'd really appreciate you sharing that method. Thank you so much.

#14 Guest_brooke_*

Guest_brooke_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

@Gerroald is there any word on if and when this may become a feature? (restoring a single site from a whole multisite backup instead of having to export the individual sites manually)

#15 brookeraraavis

brookeraraavis

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

HOLLER!!! :lol: If I just heard correctly I believe we are all in luck. I was watching this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WYhLIK3KfK4 ) and at about time 40:04 to about 40:45 Bes explains the following:

You can export the entire Multisite network from your server weekly. Then when a problem arises, import that entire Multisite network backup onto your localhost. Then export the individual site that has been corrupted (but the backup will be from before it was corrupted) and import/restore that individual site back onto the server. So, it sounds like we don't have to backup each site within the network individually every week. That would be a total pain. I mean how often will a site need to be restored right? At least this solution will work until the dev team works on some automated individual backups for us or finds a way to restore 1 site from a Multisite backup.

I guess if you were developing something on localhost at the time you could export that site and import it back after installing the entire Multisite backup onto your localhost.

#16 Jeff F

Jeff F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Besides backup, what I would want BackupBuddy (or another solution) to do is to create a duplicate copy of an existing site on my network. Basically, use it as a template for a new site.
Jeff Fila
Albany Digital Services, LLC - Web Development / Technical Training / Technical Writing
Real Estate Digital Services - Real Estate Web Development / Virtual Tours / Single Property Websites / Marketing / Graphics
Call/Text 518-302-1117

#17 Guest_Brooke_*

Guest_Brooke_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

@jtf1117 Yes, you can duplicate and existing site on your network to use as a template for a brand new site on your network! Bes mentions this in the YouTube video a couple of times (best part of this video for you would be around 3 minutes long - http://youtu.be/WYhLIK3KfK4?t=42m watch from this point @ about 42 minutes in to about 45 minutes in) . Easy Peasy.

#18 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hey All,

Thanks for sharing information and your interests! There still isn't a timeline of when or if these features will be implemented. BackupBuddy Multisite is still in BETA and is not recommended for production sites. The developers are aware of your interest and I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks,

Gerroald

#19 Jeff F

Jeff F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I hope they do keep working on it! I'm willing to be a tester for it.

I just purchased the Plugin Buddy all access pass and will be using the Multisite beta. It's OK that it is beta for me since I have 3 redundant servers for my multisite networks.
Jeff Fila
Albany Digital Services, LLC - Web Development / Technical Training / Technical Writing
Real Estate Digital Services - Real Estate Web Development / Virtual Tours / Single Property Websites / Marketing / Graphics
Call/Text 518-302-1117