Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Scheduled And Automated Backups

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Frederique Lavios_*

Guest_Frederique Lavios_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

I have a few questions before I purchase your suite of plugins:
  • Does it allow for automation?  I'm told you have to do the actual backup by hand (login to the admin panel and click on backup).  Most of my clients don't want to be bothered with that and don't want to pay me to do it.
  • If yes, are there setting where we can select scheduled backups?  Ideally we'd like to store a daily backup for the last 7 days, weekly backups for the last 4-5 weeks, and monthly backups, from date of plugin installation.
  • If no, do you have recommendations as to how to accomplish this?  Cron?
  • Does there need to be an internet connection in order to do a backup to our computer's harddrive?
  • Is there an option to direct the backup to an offsite storage program?  I assume there would need to be a setting that allows us to input the url, login and pw.
  • Can a backup be generated from any computer to backup to that particular computer?  We don't expect this part to be automated.
We just launched two sites and are ready to launch another soon.  Looking forward to installing backupbuddy soon!

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hi Frederique,

Let me see if I can answer all your questions for you!
  • You can schedule automatic backups, so your clients won't have to go in and create the backup for themselves.
  • Sort of!  :)  You can select how many backups to store or the size of the total backups to store.  So you can tell it to keep only 10 backups or up to X-number MB of total backups.  However, you can't go in and tell it specifically to save X-number of weekly backups, X-number of monthly, etc.
  • As #2 was "sort of," just let me know if you need more information on this one.
  • You can download the backup to your desktop, but you would need to do so manually.  So, yes, you'd have to have internet connect and be in BackupBuddy to download the backup to your desktop.  This isn't one of the automatic remote destinations available.
  • You can select remote destinations to send your backups and this can even be done automatically with your scheduled backups.  The current remote destinations include email, Dropbox, Amazon S3 and, coming soon, BackupBuddy Stash.
  • As long as you can access the dashboard of the site you have BackupBuddy installed on, you can generate and download the backups to that computer.
Let us know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification on any of this!

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi Frederique

Just to expand on the advice from Elise, specifically concerning your Point 2 - by appropriately configuring your offsite destinations where you send backups to in association with appropriate backup schedules you can achieve the backup retention plan that you describe.

In addition, you do not mention which offsite storage service you are considering but when dealing with multiple client sites our recommendation at present would be to use Amazon S3 as this provides excellent security options - this is assuming you will be providing for the storage and management of client backups. If each client is providing their own offsite storage then we would still recommend S3 based storage but it becomes more just a choice for your client.

In your Point 4 you mention doing a backup to "...our computer's hard drive." Does this mean you are considering your (desktop or other local) computer as a destination for offsite backups from client sites? Technically this is possible if you have your designated local computer configured as an ftp server and you have appropriate networking equipment that can allow incoming ftp connections and route them to your computer that is the ftp server - certainly some users of BackupBuddy operate this kind of setup. In general we would advise using a dedicated storage service such as S3 but using your own local ftp server is an option provided you have in place the necessary backup strategy for the local storage - but in general you would be hard pushed to provide the same sort of resiliance and robustness that you would get from S3 or Rackspace or similar.

If you are looking for this sort of setup then we cannot advise on specifically how to set up your ftp server or networking equipment but in general these days you can certainly purchase dedicated network storage boxes that have suitable ftp servers built in and most networking routers can be configured for port forwarding/triggering and/or setting up a DMZ for handling incoming traffic.

Should you make your purchase of iThemes product(s) then we can advise you how to achieve your specific aims on the BackupBuddy forum, thanks.

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."