Prepurchase Questions

Backup Buddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lisa_*

Guest_Lisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

I ran your test compatibility plugin and one area failed (PHP Register Globals is disabled). Not sure what that means and if I can move forward or not. I'm not a developer but did build my own site. Can you please tell me if this is a major problem or if I can move forward safely?

I host on Hostgator and use Headway for my theme.  I'm currently hosting through someone else but I've experienced poor service. My reason to purchase Backup Buddy is to back everything up and then get direct hosting through Hostgator without a middleman. I'd like to do this without the person hosting my site knowing in advance and would rather not have to ask them for a backup as I do not have given me access to my CPanel and can't back it up myself. Will BackupBuddy allow me to do this?

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hi Lisa,

BackupBuddy should still be able to work fine for the site.

PHP Register Globals is checked as a "for your information" kind of setting and isn't recommended for general use, it shouldn't affect BackupBuddy. It means the server will automatically register the user's input as variables and that isn't the best idea for server's to have, so PHP Register Globals have even been removed from the newer PHP versions (PHP 6 I think).

BackupBuddy will let you create a backup of your site yourself and then you can do with that backup as want (store it, use the backup to migrate the site to a new location, restore, etc).

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Lisa_*

Guest_Lisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sounds great! So it's actually a good thing that this test failed?

Once I've done the backup is there a way to test it to be sure that I have everything I need/ that it's done it's job since there's a possibility that's all I will have to go off of?

Lisa

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi Lisa,

Good that it failed in the sense that now you are aware that the server has PHP Register Globals turned on and so can go about stopping it from using them when you want. Though also good in the sense that register globals being on or off shouldn't affect BackupBuddy, unlike some of the other server configurations that could have been marked as bad.

BackupBuddy does an integrity check on completed backups that makes sure the backups are good (test that the file isn't corrupt and that certain key files, such as the .sql file of the database) are present in the backup. A test migration is a good way to also make sure and it helps familiarize with the restore/migration process. For that can create a subdirectory and then simply migrate to it and then once done can delete/remove the subirectory. A migration and restore are essentially the same thing so if know how to do a migration then can do a restore.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX