Good Carousel Galleries Compatible With Tabber?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 andreakropp

andreakropp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Hello-

Has anyone out there come across a good carousel that doesn't disable tabber on activation?

Some of the ones we like most (like wp-imageflow2 and carousels by Simon Baier) are moo tools-based and seem to cause tabber not to load properly once they're activated in WP (no functionality or styling on the tabber). The jQuery-based ones we've found have worked better with Tabber but lack some of the features we'd like to have--easy configuration from admin panel and click-through to post.

What we're looking for is a set of thumbnails above or below a main active image that users can click on to get to a post.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#2 riskiii

riskiii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

iThemes has the rotating images plugin, which is nice in the fact that it allows you to have more than one, but it does not pull in the post excerpt. Dynamic Content Gallery by Adi is a great one, if you use the jQuery, but it does not allow more than one, and he does not seem to want to modify it. If all you need, that may be a good option. If you are handy with coding, you might look at hacking the iThemes one, that is what I am thinking about.
Danny G Smith

#3 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,145 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hi,

fyi, I would strongly suggest to look for jQuery based plugins only. I am not saying jQuery is better than mootools, but having two different javascript frameworks (I've even seen sites that load the scriptacolous library as well for yet another plugin) will slow down your site, and may indeed cause other issues, conflicts and compatibility problems. Also, jQuery is the preferred weapon of choice in WordPress.

just my 0.02$
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#4 andreakropp

andreakropp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello Danny and Ronald-

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Bev Stofko, developer of WP-ImageFlow2, has done a very nice job streamlining the javascript in her plugin so that it plays nicely with others, include (most importantly for me) Tabber Widgets. No more hangups with Mootools/Scriptalicious. If what you're after is an elegant way to showcase images, I can recommend this one wholeheartedly. You can have more than one and it also allows click-through to the url of your choice.

Image-Gallery-Reloaded is also a pretty plugin that works with Tabber Widget. You can use it anywhere you'd implement a gallery. However, it does not permit you to set links for clicking through to other content.

Part of what I really appreciate about the design of these plugins is that they piggyback on WP's existing Gallery.

I've come across numerous recommendations for Viva Posts Carousel and Viva Carousel Gallery Edition by MediaTricks (Tim Waddell). These are premium plugins, but the company has apparently vanished along with their products. Since I haven't been able to get my hands on them, I have no idea re: compatibility. Would love to test them though...

Best,

Andrea and Karl