Wanting To Design Websites For Clients But...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Kent Sogge_*

Guest_Kent Sogge_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am confused.  I want to use your product with Wordpress to design websites for clients.  But my question is Wordpress does not appear to be a stand alone development tool but is tied to each domain name it is used on?  Does that mean I have to get the login for each clients host domain and upload Wordpress along with your products to design their web site.  Im used to using a standalone program like Xara and do the design and then upload the files to the hosting site.  Or am I misunderstanding something??

HELP!

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi Kent,

I'm not sure I understand completely what you're asking.  WordPress is a free, open-source platform to build websites with.  To use WordPress, it does have to be installed on each site, as do our plugins/themes.  I've never used Xara, but it sounds essentially the same.  You can create the site on your localhost or a sandbox site and then migrate the site you built to their domain (using a tool like BackupBuddy makes that especially simple).  When you create the WordPress site, you'd create a username and login for that particular site.  

If you're asking if you're going to have to sign into their host server, then yes.  But if you mean if you purchase a domain name at GoDaddy but their site is hosted at HostGator, do you ever have to sign into GoDaddy?  Then, no.

If you go to iThemes.TV, you'll find webinars called How To Build A Website that covers how to build a site using WordPress, including how to install WordPress.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Elise