Backupbuddy & Wordpress Multisite

backup buddy wordpress version multisite ms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Koh

Jonathan Koh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Dear Support,

Situation : I'm developing clients preview site in a multisite environment with multiple single preview site
Goal : Export single preview site from the preview server into realtime working server, and restore as an independent site

I understand that, when I run BackupBuddy Export from a single preview site of a multisite environment, it will bind together with the latest wordpress version. I need extra details on this scenario. When I perform the BackupBuddy Export from a single preview site :

1) Will it bind together with the latest plugins' version as well?
2) Can I have the current wordpress files of the multisite instead of the latest wordpress files from wordpress.org?
3) Is all the plugins by iThemes were fully compatible for multisite environment?
4) If I backup from Network Admin area on the whole multisite, will I be able to restore only specific single site with importbuddy and make it an independent site on another server?

Please advise.
Waiting for your earliest reply.
Thank you.

#2 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello Jonathan Koh,

The first thing I'd like to mention is that BackupBuddy Multisite is still in BETA 1.

1) Yes, it will backup the plugins. They'll have to be network activated to be included in the backup.

2) Yes, it only backs up the files on your server. It doesn't pull them from anywhere else.

3) Yes, all of our plugins will work on multisite.

4) No, if you backup the entire network you can only restore the network, and not subsites from the backup. To export single sites you must have BB network activated, then a menu item will appear on the sub-site that will allow you to export the subsite as a single site.

Please let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#3 Jonathan Koh

Jonathan Koh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for your reply...

I understand that BB Multisite is still in BETA.... I have been using BB on individual sites for some time....
I feel it's very stable so worth to give BB Multisite a good try.... I'm more concern about the versioning matters because not all latest version is stable & fully compatible with everything....
Therefore, all my questions are focusing on BB Multisite & everything is network activated...
I suspect that you have misunderstand my first 2 questions.... Allow me elaborate it....

1) Will BB get the latest version of the plugins from Wordpress repository when performing backup on a subsite?

2) According to the explanation in video (http://ithemes.com/2011/09/22/backupbuddy-multisite-demonstration-video-replay/), it says that BB will get the latest version of Wordpress from wordpress.org when performing backup. In another word, BB will not use the current wordpress files that sits on multisite. So, can I have BB backup on the wordpress files of the multisite instead of the latest wordpress files from wordpress.org?

Wait for your earliest reply.
Thank you.

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

please use the Backupbuddy support forum for specific suport questions or the pre-sales forum for general inquiries,

thanks,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 Jonathan Koh

Jonathan Koh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
The BackupBuddy Support Forum link you provide is invalid.
I had tried to look-up for BackupBuddy topic under PluginBuddy but not found.
Therefore, I have to post it here. You may refer to the attached screenshot.
Please help ASAP because it's been long pending.
Much appreciation & Thank you.
Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 10.54.57 PM.jpg

#6 Jonathan Koh

Jonathan Koh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

For your references, below is what I see when clicked on your BackupBuddy Support Forum link.
Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 11.02.20 PM.jpg

#7 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hello Jonathan Koh,

Perhaps I did misunderstand the questions. I consulted with the developer to make sure and get you the correct information on these.

1) BackupBuddy will only backup and migrate the current files you have. It will not seek a new version from any repository for your plugins.

2) Thank you for your patience, I understand this is important for you. I consulted with the developer to make sure and get you the correct information for it.

Full Network backups do indeed back up the files running the Network (just how standalone BackupBuddy backs up sites, there isn't much difference here). The difference is when using the Export feature. BackupBuddy only goes out and grabs the latest WordPress files when _exporting_ a Multisite subsite to standalone. Since a subsite does not have its own WordPress files to itself BackupBuddy uses the latest WordPress version to construct the standalone backup. This cannot be changed.

I'm going to move this topic to the BackupBuddy Multisite Forum. This information may be very helpful for others!

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#8 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hello Jonathan Koh,

I just noticed your previous post and it seems your BackupBuddy license for support and updates may be expired. You can contact sales@ithemes.com if you wish to renew it for support and automatic updates.

I'm now moving this to Pre-Sales & Other Inquiries.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Gerroald

#9 Jonathan Koh

Jonathan Koh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi Gerroald,

Thanks for your rescue because I just reported to iThemes Support regarding I no longer can view this topic after the moved.
Thank you for moving it back to Pre-Sales forum so that I could see it again.

From your reply to my Question 2, can I instruct BackupBuddy to use the wordpress of the multisite instead of grabbing the latest wordpress version from wordpress.org? This is important because not all plugins are compatible with the latest wordpress. Please help.
Thank you.

#10 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hello Jonathan Koh,

I understand the importance of this in your situation. However, this isn't a feature that BackupBuddy Mulitisite supports.

I hope this helps to resolve your questions.

Thanks,

Gerroald

#11 Jonathan Koh

Jonathan Koh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hmm.... That's bad....
Hopefully iThemes will implement this in near future since BackupBuddy is still in BETA....

#12 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,909 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi Jonathan

The beta label (which is applied to the BackupBuddy Multisite capabilities and not to BackupBuddy as you imply) does not imply that any new features will be added but also does not preclude that possibility.

To help you, if you wish to create a standalone site with a specific version of WordPress then I would suggest simply replacing the WordPress core files at your new server/site. You have a number of opportunities to do this such as unzipping the backup, replacing the files and rezipping if you want to use the zip file at the new server, or simply pause after the unzip on the new server and replace the files with the WordPress version you want to use.

If you have any more specific questions then they will have to be addressed to the appropriate Support Forum as per your applicable membership(s) and eligibility for access to those forum(s), thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."