Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

ServerBuddy FAQs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 dlittle800

dlittle800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Themes, DisplayBuddy, VidEmbed
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the ServerBuddy plugin. I think it will help build credibility with clients if nothing else.

Of course, I'm mostly baffled by what any of it means.

Here's a suggestion....

I found this cool FAQ plugin - FAQ You

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/faq-you/

You could provide a brief description of what each readout means. Then, you could add a separate answer for each "Test Description" response - one for "OK" and one for "FAIL." Further, it would be great if you could provide suggestions for the FAIL responses to improve the siuation.

Members could then create their own FAQ You installation for their clients to refer to after emailing them a report.

In the meantime, here are my ServerBuddy issues...

General Server Check:

Allow Call Time Pass Reference On FAIL
Maximum Execution Time (secs) 30 FAIL
Register Globals  On FAIL

Wordpress & Server Security:

File Permissions for / (755 needed) 750 FAIL
File Permissions for /wp-admin/ (644 needed) 755 WARNING

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Little, Gold Cross Marketing

#2 Dustin Bolton

Dustin Bolton

BackupBuddy Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Builder, All Plugins, Webdesign, BackupBuddy, Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

If you hover your mouse over the icon to the left of each test it will provide additional information about each test. I agree with you on adding additional information on FAIL to provide information on how to best resolve the problem. We will be adding that to a near upcoming version.

As for your errors:

* This is not a critical fail though it is certainly best to have this Off so you will receive warnings of software using this outdated function. This is a php.ini setting.

Maximum Execution Time (secs) 30 FAIL

* This is a slightly low setting. If your host allows scripts to override this value however then this will be acceptable since overridden values can extend it. The next version of ServerBuddy will test for overriding abilities. This is a php.ini setting.

Register Globals  On FAIL

* This is a security risk to be set on since poorly written software can easily be hacked by users passing variables to the script in the URL. Essentially this allows variables in the URL to be injected into the PHP code which is obviously a security risk. This is a php.ini setting.

Your file permissions can be changed using an FTP client. Your settings are quite common though and aren't too bad. You can try the more strict settings although be aware that some hosts are not configured with maximum security in mind so stricter settings may not work.

File Permissions for / (755 needed) 750 FAIL

File Permissions for /wp-admin/ (644 needed) 755 WARNING

Thanks!
The BackupBuddy Guy - Dustin Bolton's Website - Twitter - Linked In

#3 dlittle800

dlittle800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Themes, DisplayBuddy, VidEmbed
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

What would be REALLY great, is if iThemes provided a video series on how to

set the configurations you just explained (that I still don't know how to do anything about)

Thx,

Derek
Derek Little, Gold Cross Marketing

#4 Joni Solis

Joni Solis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

I too need more help with the ServerBuddy info for this below: (video or text step by step help please)

* This is not a critical fail though it is certainly best to have this Off so you will receive warnings of software using this outdated function. This is a php.ini setting.

-- Joni Solis
My Builder site: Horse Art Designs - http://alove4horses.com/design/
Current theme : Ionic 1.0.2 by iThemes - A Builder Child Theme

#5 Josh

Josh

Ithemes Developer

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, BackupBuddy, Flexx
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Hi Joni,

Well is this causing you any issues with this turned on? Also if you want to change this you have to have access to a php.ini some hosts do not allow having this file. But if you do have a php.ini you can turn it off by adding this:

allow_call_time_pass_reference = Off 

Please let us know if you have further questions about this

Regards

Josh
Hey if you haven't looked at the iThemes codex check it out here!
There are some plugin walkthrough videos on our youtube channel check it out!

#6 Joni Solis

Joni Solis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

So where does one look for this php.ini file? I looked under alove4horses.com/public_html (by ftp) but I don't see it. If I don't have this file anywhere then I just don't worry about this Fail message on ServerBuddy?
-- Joni Solis
My Builder site: Horse Art Designs - http://alove4horses.com/design/
Current theme : Ionic 1.0.2 by iThemes - A Builder Child Theme

#7 Josh

Josh

Ithemes Developer

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, BackupBuddy, Flexx
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

You can always create a blank php.ini and add the line in there. But it may not make a change depending on whether your host allows this or not.

Well if it is not affecting anything on your site then you shouldnt have to mess with it. Serverbuddys reports do not mean that your system is not "safe" or is slow because of it being turned on. It is just recommended server settings.

Regards

Josh
Hey if you haven't looked at the iThemes codex check it out here!
There are some plugin walkthrough videos on our youtube channel check it out!