Posts And Pages Together?

posts pages templates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi.

I'm looking to do something (HA!) "simple".

I need to put both POSTS and PAGES in the same WP display template. I need for people who click in link in one area to change the content IN THAT AREA while leaving the other as-is; so click a link in a post and you get a new post displayed, but click a link in a page and you get a new page; one simply doesn't effect the other.

Of course, I need to also make my menus effect the one I want (Pages, as it happens), and not the other.

Can LoopBuddy handle this . . . umm . . . easily? Because honestly if I need to hire a programmer I might as well have the whole thing custom coded, you know?

Thanks,

Jeff Yablon

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi Jeff,

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking.  Do you mean you want the user to be able to click a link (be it a page or a post) and show that content without actually opening a new page?  Just showing the content of that page/post on the current page?  If so, then no, LoopBuddy can't do that.  You can use LoopBuddy to display certain content in different areas how you'd like it to be displayed.  

If that's not what you were asking, please let me know and I'll see if I can better answer your question.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi, Elise.

Not exactly right, no.

Traditionally, a WP install contains one content area and one or more widget areas. (I'm not talking headers or footers at all; just the other parts)

There will still be a widget area, but I I want to have TWO content areas. One will be used for posts (blog content) and the other for pages (static content/sales materials/landing pages). Clicking a link in the pages "pane" will always lead to other pages; posts will never get displayed there. Clicking a link in the posts pane will most often open other posts, although since there are links to pages both on and off-site those could be opened, as well.

Is that more clear (I hope!) ?

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hi Jeff,

That does make it a little bit clearer.  But just to make sure...  :)

So there will be 2 content areas, one with LoopBuddy linking to posts, one linking to pages.  And clicking either one will open a new page, not like a pop up window.  

If that's the case, then yes, LoopBuddy can help you create that.  I've created something similar to what (I think :)) you're trying to create on my test site, elise.internal.ithemes.com.  I used the LoopBuddy widget option (and separated the page section from the post section with another menu, just so it's easier to see where they split).

Now, the one issue you'll notice is if you select "Older Post" in either section, both the pages and posts will move back a page.  You can disable pagination in LoopBuddy, however, if you don't want the users to scroll through the pages/posts.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#5 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi Elise:

I'm basically a trusting soul, so "yes" is as much answer as I HAD to have. That said: see this?: http://s108668865.onlinehome.us/wp-4-headway/wordpress/ ?

The idea is that the left/smaller column is where posts will go, and the center/larger column needs to be controlled ( to see stuff there all the time, as people read content). The right column is widgets.

Works, says you?

#6 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hey Jeff,

Yes!  :)  I changed my site to fit what you're describing:  elise.internal.ithemes.com/  I'm using LoopBuddy's widget to show the posts in the left column and LoopBuddy settings to show the pages in the content area.  If that's not what you're needing/wanting, just let me know.  

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#7 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Elise...by the way, I'd love to see what you said you's placed on your site; perhaps you meant to point me somewhere else, or to a hidden internal page?

#8 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hmmmmm. Close, but not quite a cigar (cigarello, maybe).

The right column in your blog works exactly as it should; the content is entirely self-contained. But clicking a link in the left column also changes the content in the right column. Literally, I need two discreet content areas.

Hard to believe based on you getting this far (and this FAST!) that it can't be done, but ... what this shows me is a programmatic way of doing what I had done manually in the example I pointed you at (which sure is an improvement!) ... but still isn't quite it, so ... one more confirmation-oriented run at this, please?

#9 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hi Jeff,

While the page reloads, it does not change the content in the separate area.  So this is the page that shows when someone visits the site:

Screen shot 2012-12-13 at 8.10.47 AM.png

In this next screenshot, I've clicked "Older Posts" in the left column:

Screen shot 2012-12-13 at 8.10.56 AM.png

So you can see that, even though the page refreshed, the content on the left has changed, but the content on the right has not.

Let me know if you continue to have questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#10 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Oddly, I don't see that behavior!

When I open your site, I see this:

Posted Image

When I click "Hello World" on the left, I get this:

Posted Image

I then tried reloading manually to see if something was bizarre, browser-side. And ... Nope.

Elise, at the end of the day I'm still good with your assurance what I need done can be done. It just would be nice to see for sure, you know?

#11 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hi Jeff,

That is how it should and will function.  The link on the left links to the post which opens in a new page.  It won't open in that same location, as I mentioned in my initial reply.  

Sorry if this has been confusing.

Thanks,

Elise

#12 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

No worries, and ... I bought a license yesterday ... wish me luck!

#13 Guest_Jeff Yablon_*

Guest_Jeff Yablon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Elise, I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem to work.

I've set up a LoopBuddy query with essentially nothing in it, as well as a layout containing nothing but a short string of text, including a link with the _self window director, pointed at a random outside web site. I've then dropped the LoopBuddy widget into a sidebar and used the aforementioned query and layout.

When the link is clicked, the web site doesn't get framed in the widget area (which probably makes sense; I'm mixing standard HTML and WordPress, right?). Problem is, this was already my workaround, and one I was dreading having to implement.

To reiterate: I need for all clicks on all links to stay within the area where they were clicked from. I understand LoopBuddy's treatment of pages versus posts, and I understand why you suggested the widget treatment. What I need is for links in area #1 to open in area #1, without effecting area #2, #3, etc. I need links clicked in area #2 to open in area #2, without effecting area #1, #3, etc.  And so on . . .

I don't love the screen refresh, but that's not really an issue; in fact, maybe it's a good thing in its way. But I need a rock-solid "open this link in this window" treatment.

Am I missing something? Is there a series of steps you can enumerate?

Thanks, again ...

Jeff

#14 ghungbub

ghungbub

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I too like the idea of links in an area open in that area only with refresh in that area only. Refresh the whole screen 'tainted' the feature. Will follow this post closely.

#15 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hi guys,

@Jeff - You need to login to the forum and post your questions in the LoopBuddy forum, the Pre-Sales forum is for questions before your purchase.  If you need help once you've purchased the product, you'll post in the product's forum.  Though, just to clarify, this is the expected behavior as I mentioned here:  http://ithemes.com/forum/topic/35491-posts-and-pages-together/#entry164686.  

@ghungbub - There is a post where you can add Feature Requests for LoopBuddy (http://ithemes.com/forum/topic/31671-loopbuddy-feature-requests/).  They won't be seen here in the pre-sales forum.

Thanks,

Elise