Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Better Wp Security Compatibility With Backupbuddy?

compatibility better wp security backupbuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tobias Kruse_*

Guest_Tobias Kruse_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hey,

I am highly interested in purchasing BackupBuddy for all my WP sites I am running. I have "Better WP Security" installed on all my sites, since it is one of the best security plugins out there. Now my questions:

Is BackupBuddy compatible with Better WP Security?

The reason I ask is this, only 2 month old post:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-better-wp-security-loopback-connections-backup-buddy-has-problems?replies=1

If it is compatible, I will buy your plugin immediately :).

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Tobias

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,896 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hi Tobias

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

As far as "security" products go exactly how you configure and use them is really up to you (or your host in some cases). If the product is configured so that it interferes with the WordPress application trying to make a loopback access to itself then essentially it is preventing a legitimate and standard WordPress operation as WordPress depends on this to be able to operate it's task scheduling mechanism which both WordPress core and a number of very popular plugins (including BackupBuddy) use.

If this is the case then I would suggest contacting the plugin author to ask how you can enable the WordPress application to make accesses to itself for the WordPress task scheduling mechanism to function properly. Similarly, if the plugin interferes with the legitimate operation of any plugin then probably that is something for the plugin author to address. I don't know how active support is for that particular plugin so you'd want to factor that in to the equation in case you needed something fixed by the author.

I'm sure BWS is a great plugin but really no plugin should interfere with the legitimate operation(s) of any other plugin unless the actual user of that plugin makes a deliberate and conscious action for that to occur and is aware of the consequences. As far as I know we don't have any reports of anyone having any problems on the forum - the only possibility I know of is if you consider changing the location of some WordPress directories but whether or not this is something that you would want to do or whether it is worth doing I don't know.

If you do choose to prohibit the WordPress task scheduling mechanism by preventing WordPress making access to itself then BackupBuddy does have an alternate manual backup mode that can work with that limitation in place but of course task scheduling in general will not work so you couldn't do things like scheduled backups and no other WordPress or other plugin scheduled tasks would run.

Hope that answers your question but if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect please let us know, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Tobias Kruse_*

Guest_Tobias Kruse_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Hey Jeremy,

thanks for your answer. ServerBuddy indicates everthing is fine, I'll give it a try soon. One more question came up:

Does BackupBuddy work on sites that are still password protected by .htaccess?

The reason I ask is that another backup plugin, WP2Dropbox, was not working while the site was still protected by .htaccess password/user. Since all my sites currently under development are usually protected by user/password in .htaccess, this is quite important to me.

Thanks for your help,

Tobias

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,896 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi Tobias

Anything that may potentially interfere with the WordPress task scheduling mechanism or browser originated access to WordPress ajax functionality because of restricting access to a site may impinge upon the behaviour of WordPress and any other plugin(s) that use the WordPress task scheduling mechanism.

For BackupBuddy this may impact the scheduling capabilities but backups can still be made manually by enabling a particular configuration option.

Rather than using .htaccess based access restrictions what many people use is a Maintenance Mode plugin that can similarly restrict access but _some_ of these can also cause problems because they too interfere with the WordPress task scheduling mechanism - go for one that either does not do this (check with plugin details or author) or allows user defined exceptions/exclusions (again check with plugin details or author) in which case it can be configured to allow the WordPress task scheduling mechanism to work even in a maintenance mode. If you did use a maintenance mode plugin that also interfered with the operation then as above BackupBuddy can be configured to work around this.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."