Installing Backupbuddy In My Server

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pepa_*

Guest_Pepa_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hello, I am planning to purchase BackupBuddy but first I want to make sure that my host services is compatible with it. The thing is that they tell me that exec( ) is already ok and zip compression is also ok. They tell me to look at my phpinfo to make sure. It is at http://wordpressparatodos.es/phpinfo.php but I have friends that had to change host because BackupBuddy was not fully functional in this host. What else do I have to ask them to have ready? How can I tell before purchase?? Thanks!!!

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi Pepa,

You can find the specifications for BackupBuddy here:  http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy#Specifications  Those are the bare minimum requirements and should give you the information you need to talk to your host.  You can also install and run ServerBuddy to help you determine how your server compares to our minimum requirements & recommendations.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_Pepa_*

Guest_Pepa_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have installed ServerBuddy and it tells me that I need to disable PHP magic quotes and that Zip Methods are incomplete (I have ziparchive and pcizip but need exec). I told my host and they tell me they have disabled PHP magic quotes and exec but SeverBuddy keeps telling me they are wrong. My host says that they have changed my PHP.ini in the main folder but perhaps I need to copy that file again in every other folder of the site. Is that right? Do I need to do that? Thanks again!!!

#4 Guest_Pepa_*

Guest_Pepa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Anyone? Do I have to write something in my php.ini file? Copy it somewhere else? I think my host doesn't know what we are talking about... :(

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hi Pepa,

To be honest, I'd consider the fact that your host doesn't know what you're talking about to be pretty problematic as these are fairly basic components!

The PHP Magic Quotes shouldn't cause issue with BackupBuddy. It is a server setting that is listed there as a "just so you know about your server's configurations" kind of thing as magic quotes aren't recommended in general.

The question of whether a host chooses to allow the PHP exec() function or not is out of our control and is really dependent on how the host chooses to configure their systems and how good their security measures are. Some obviously take the position that they are not confident enough in their underlying security to allow the use of exec() and so choose not to do so - others take a different approach and position. The exec() function itself is just a PHP function and in and of itself is no more a security risk than any other function.  Though how to exactly set it up is beyond the scope of our support.

Exec is the best and preferred zip method, but not the only one (as ServerBuddy shows you).  You don't have to tell it to use the slower mode (compatibility mode) so don't worry about that, if BackupBuddy finds it can't run with exec like it would prefer it automatically tries to switch down to the slower mode.

Thanks,

Elise