Classic Essence Questions

Essence mobile responsive Builder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Metta Zetty

Metta Zetty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

From everything I can tell, it looks like iThemes' classic Essence theme has recently been converted into a mobile-responsive Builder child theme format:
http://ithemes.com/find/builder/

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Features#List_of_responsive

However, the Essence theme I'm interested in using is the classic (early/older) version of Essence that is NOT based on the Builder framework:
http://essence.ithemes.com/

In light of this, I would like to clarify 3 questions:
  • Is this classic (non-Builder) version of Essence going to be discontinued, or is iThemes planning to continue upgrading this version of Essence?

• If so, is this classic version of Essence mobile responsive?

• If not, can anyone recommend a plugin that will effectively make this non-Builder version of Essence responsive on mobile devices?

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 29,728 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

1. the classic version of Essence will not be discontinued, however, we will not be upgrading the theme (other than necessary maintenance, should this be required by an updated WordPress in the future)

2. No, it is not a responsive theme, and there are no plans to convert it into a responsive theme

3. As far as I know, there are no plugins that will automagically convert a theme from non-responsive to responsive. as a matter of fact, I doubt there will be such a plugin, since the changes that need to be applied affect the entire structure a theme is built on. There are plugins that will create a mobile version of your site though, such as wp-touch,

hope this helps,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Metta Zetty

Metta Zetty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Ronald.  I appreciate the update.

Also, I have just one more quick question just to clarify the distinction between responsive and mobile-ready: may I assume plugins like wp-touch only make a site viewable on mobile phones while responsive themes are viewable on multiple devices?

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 29,728 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

a responsive theme will not change any design elements, just the ordering of elements on the page, using the same theme you use for full desktop view. So if you have a sidebar next to your content, when resizing the viewport, at some point the sidebar will drop below the content. Images will resize as well. All using the same theme. A mobile plugin will apply it's own layout to your content. More advanced plugins also allow you to change some of the layout elements, font color, background image etc. But it's basically a new theme that fits your content in a mobile, responsive layout.

Mobile or tablet is not relevant in this case,
Ronald

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 Metta Zetty

Metta Zetty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Thanks, Ronald, for your feedback.

I thought I understood the distinction you were making until you said "Mobile or tablet is not relevant in this case."  Since I'm not sure to what case you are referring, I'm not sure now that I understand the difference -- and the challenge is compounded by the fact that I do not have a smart phone or other mobile device upon which I can see the display differences.

In any case, thank you for your attempt to clarify.  Sooner or later I trust I'll figure this out as I start experimenting with different themes.

#6 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 29,728 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

sorry to have confused you. Let's rephrase "mobile or tablet" to "any mobile device". There is no difference.

A responsive theme will still be the same theme, content may be rearranged based on the width of the site.
Using a plugin, a new theme will be applied when the site is viewed on a mobile device.

Ronald