Please Review And Let Me Know If My Servers Will Work With Backup Buddy Before Purchase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Larry Bradshaw_*

Guest_Larry Bradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I'd like to purchase Backup Buddy but am concerned after seeing some "warnings" from Server Buddy that this software may not run on my either of my hosts. My goal is to use your software to migrate my production version on A2Hosting to my test server at GreenGeeks and vice versa.

Attached are my screen shots from ServerBuddy for both of my hosting providers.

A2Hosting:

Posted Image

GreenGeeks:

Posted Image

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hi Larry,

For the PHP max_execution_time, it may still work fine as 0 technically should mean no limit. But in practice some servers won't read that in that way so it would be safest in general to give it an actual value for max_execution_time. So if the site has a plugin that is putting it to 0 then may want to try having it not do that.

For the magic Quotes GPC, they shouldn't affect BackupBuddy either way. Magic Quotes is listed as a "for your information about your server in general" type of configuration because they aren't recommended to be used. They make it so that user inputted data is automatically escaped and with properly written software shouldn't be an issue.

The zip methods on the the second host though, definitely check if they can enable command line ZIP via PHP's exec() function. exec works best as a zip method and what BackupBuddy will use by default and first if possible. If the server doesn't have exec then it tries to create a backup using compatibility mode (mainly pclzip) which can work but is slower and less reliable than exec (which can be set up and used safely). The server having exec() as the available zip method is preferred greatly.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_clark milioti_*

Guest_clark milioti_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hello,

I too would like to know if my current host -- iPage -- will run Backup Buddy.  

I have screen shots, but this posting window does not seem to accept images from the clipboard, only urls.

Basically, here's what's RED or YELLOW under server config:

Parameter           Suggestion   value    status
PHP Register Globals   disabled       enabled   fail (red)
PHP Magic Quotes GPC  
disabled       enabled   warning (yellow)

Do you need any further data from the server buddy results?

Many Thanks.

- Clark

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,242 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi Clark,

Those two server configurations shouldn't stop BackupBuddy from working. They are both listed more as just so you know about your server kind of settings, that aren't preferred to be enabled and may cause issues with other things on the site.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_clark milioti_*

Guest_clark milioti_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, Dustin.

I am about to purchase the personal license of BackupBuddy.

I have 2 WP implementations, one hosted at iPage and the other at 1and1.com.  Can I use a license at each hosting location?

Also, if I leave a hosting company, can I transfer the BackupBuddy licenses to the new host?

Thanks again!

- Clark

#6 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,242 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hi Clark,

The license number goes off of active licenses attached to a site. So if you migrate a site you can give it the license the source site had if don't have any extras left, or even could delete the one on the source site and give the newly migrated site its own new one.

Thanks,
-Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#7 Guest_clark milioti_*

Guest_clark milioti_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hello Dustin,

Thank you for your response.

Forgive my ignorance, but just so I know how you folks handle the licensing, is the following an accurate grasp of your licensing model?
  • I purchase a "personal" license of BackupBuddy (BB)
  • This gives me 2 licenses of BB
  • I install one BB license at iPage
  • I install the other BB license at 1and1.com
  • I can backup multiple WP sites (different domains) at iPage under the one BB license installed there

• I can backup multiple WP sites (different domains) at 1and1 under the one BB license installed there

• I decide to leave iPage, therefore, I can de-install the BB license at iPage and reinstall it at a new hosting provider

• I decide to leave 1and1, therefore, I can de-install the BB license at 1and1 and reinstall it at a new hosting provider
Thanks again!

- Clark

#8 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,242 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi Clark,

Almost, the licenses are per site so numbers 3-6 aren't quite how it works. The licenses get attached to individual WordPress sites. So if have 5 separate WordPress sites at 1and1.com for example, to get them all "licensed" would take 5 licenses.

Numbers 7 and 8 are correct though, can remove a license attached to one site and attach it to another. Or even can delete a license to generate another and attach it wherever (different site, same site, etc).

Thanks,
-Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX