Backup Buddy And Add On Domains

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
-1 reply to this topic

#-19 Guest_dave_*

Guest_dave_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Can backup buddy to backup and restore individual add on domains? In other words, I have a main domain with 2 add on domains and want to be able to backup, move, or restore as needed on an individual basis. Would appreciate knowing if this functionality is currently available.

#-18 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hi Dave,

Yes that is possible.

The recommended setup when having addon domains is to have BackupBuddy installed on each of them so they can individually make their own backups. And for the addon domains to be excluded (in BackupBuddy's Settings page) from the main domain's backups.

Otherwise BackupBuddy will backup them all up at once when creating a backup of the main site, which if someone wants that they can do but if then needing to restore/migrate just one of the sites it complicates things a bit. And some servers just aren't set up to be able to back up multiple sites at once.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#-17 Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostDustin Akers, on 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Hi Dave,

Yes that is possible.

The recommended setup when having addon domains is to have BackupBuddy installed on each of them so they can individually make their own backups. And for the addon domains to be excluded (in BackupBuddy's Settings page) from the main domain's backups.

Otherwise BackupBuddy will backup them all up at once when creating a backup of the main site, which if someone wants that they can do but if then needing to restore/migrate just one of the sites it complicates things a bit. And some servers just aren't set up to be able to back up multiple sites at once.

Thanks,
-Akers

So if I understand correctly, I should purchase a BackupBuddy license that covers the main domain and all add on domains, for instance main domain plus 9 add on domains equals 10 site license. Is that correct?

So I understand that I would want to exclude add on domains when backing up the main domain. Would I also want to exclude other add on domains and main domain when backing up just one add on domain?

Sorry about the questions, I just want to make sure i understand the technology as I am ready to make the purchase. I would imagine this is documented somewhere.

Thanks!

#-16 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi Dave

Yes, each separate WordPress site with BackupBuddy installed (BackupBuddy is a WordPress _site_ backup/restore/migrate tool so needs to be installed on each site that you want to backup) would be separately licenced - so if you had a total of 10 sites then you would need 10 licences to have every site licenced.

The precise required exclusions depend on the specific way the host creates the hosting space for the main and any additional add-on or sub domains and/or what flexibility you have in that.

For example, some hosts may have your main domain rooted in public_html (or similar) and then each add-on or sub domain will be in a subdirectory under public_html. In that case in the main domain backup you would exclude each of the add-on or sub domain directories but you don't need any specific exclusion in each add-on or sub domain site backup as there are no sites "under" those, e.g.,

public_html (mydomain.com)
|
+---/addonone (addonone.com)
|
+---/addontwo (addontwo.com)
|
+---/subone.com (subone.mydomain.com)
|
  etc.

Other hosts may have _all_ sites as peer directories of some directory that does not itself have any site installed in it in which case no specific exclusions of other sites are required in any of them because none is a subdirectory of another, e.g.,

hostdir
|
+---/maindomain(mydomain.com)
|
|
|
|
  etc.

One trick you can use if you have control over the directory structure for where your add-on and sub domains will be located (usually this is the case, when you create such an additional domain in cpanel you usually can specify the directory path) is to create a single directory under the main domain directory and then within that a directory for each of the add-on or sub domains. That way the main domain backup need only exclude the single directory and you can add additional add-on or sub domains at any time without having to remember to update the exclusions in the main domain backup, e.g.,

public_html (mydomain.com)
|
+---/extras
  |
  |
  |
  |
etc.

So you need only exclude /extras in the main domain backup. The installation directory for, say, addonone.com would be public_html/extras/addonone and similar for other sites - this of course is of no relevance to the way the visitor sees the site as the installation directory isn't any component of the url.

Hope that provides the information you need and gives you a few options to consider. Please let us know if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#-15 George Z

George Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Putting the add-on domains above public_html would be the simplest solution. This is easy to do in cpanel and it gives you this option when creating the add-on domain.