Questions Before Buying Backupbuddy

backupbuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_backupnewbie_*

Guest_backupnewbie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hello,

I have some questions I would like to ask before I actually purchase BackupBuddy.

I am currently hosting a Wordpress Site at Hawk Host (share host), and is going to move to other host, so I am looking into buying Backupbuddy to do the migration as well as for future backups.

My site is around 2GB (I have quite a lot of pictures and all), I heard from a friend who is using Backupbuddy that I will not be able to backup a site this big. He told me from his experience that I will get some error when exporting the files. If this is the case, there's no point for me to purchase. Can you please let me know if it is true?

Thanks!

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi Backupnewbie,

BackupBuddy doesn't have any limits in it, but it has to run under the constraints of the host's server. If the host's server is slow or overloaded (which can happen with shared hosting) then it may not be able to create the backup fast enough before the server's max PHP runtime (max_execution_time, which if host has this set too low can also make it harder to create a backup in time because it is having to create a backup of the entire site) cuts off the process.

The bigger the site and the "less than good" the server is the harder time it can with creating a backup but there tweaks and tricks that can be done to help it still complete. Especially if just wanting to migrate off of the current host (presumably to a better one).

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_backupnewbie_*

Guest_backupnewbie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my slow respond!! I will try to contact my hosting support to see if it will work. Thanks!

#4 david carr

david carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

In this case if it doesnt work you could exclude the uploads folder from the backup, download the uploads folder to your computer create the backup and migrate the site and then upload your uploads folder to the site again.

Regards
Dave

I'm a web monkey from the UK and have been using builder since it was first released.

If you would like to hire me get in touch