Q: Will Bb Clone My Membership (Dap) Tables So That I Can Move To Subdomain From Main Domain

Digital Access Pass Migratation WP tables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lane_*

Guest_Lane_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi,

I have a membership site on my main domain and need to move it to my subdomain of same site. I asked the people at the membership plugin, Digital Access Pass, (DAP) if I could just clone everything and then transfer the clone to subdomain using. They didn't know if Backup Buddy would back-up ALL tables rather than just WP tables. More specifically, this is what they wrote:
"Not sure if BackupBuddy also takes the backup of DAP tables or if it particularly looks for WordPress tables. Generally DAP tables are installed in the same database as WP. So if BackupBuddy takes a backup of ALL the tables in the database (rather than just WP tables), then when you create a clone on main domain and install it on subdomain, it should work." --DAP

If someone could help me with this, I would appreciate it.

Be well,

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

BackupBuddy can be configured to include all the tables in the same database as used by your WordPress site in the database component of a backup and it can then import those tables into a new database. The tables that are considered as belonging to your WordPress site are those with the table name prefix as defined in the wp-config.php file - any tables belonging to any other application that do not use this table name prefix or may do so by design or coincidentally but are _not_ specifically related to your WordPress site operation are not considered WordPress tables.

However, please note that migration (by which I mean updating of url and absolute file paths in the database as appropriate) will operate _only_ on the WordPress site tables and _not_ tables that belong to any other application. So if the database tables that belong to your other application require any urls or absolute file paths to be updated to take account of the move (in both url and application installation directory) then you will need to effect such updates by some other means.

It is dangerous to give non-WordPres tables the same table name prefix as used by your WordPress site as this could case the migration to operate upon those tables (other than importing them to a new database) and that could destroy the integrity of their data because the migration process will expect data to be formatted as per WordPress and cannot be expected to handle arbitrary data formats.

You will understand that BackupBuddy is a WordPress site backup/restore/migration tool and so although you may choose to use it to handle the files and/or data that belong to another application (even if that application does have a WordPress component such as a plugin) we do not officially support such use but only those aspects that may be considered as part of the WordPress site itself.

I hope this provides the information that you need but please feel free to ask any additional questions or for any clarification in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Lane_*

Guest_Lane_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

Thank you. I think I understand, and will probably just do a new install and start over, and have members start new there to be safe.

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Happy to have clarified for you and helped you make the best decision for your requirement, thanks.

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."