Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Question on Backupbuddy transfer from Windows 7 localhost to Godaddy.com Deluxe hosting Linux Account

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michael Hanton_*

Guest_Michael Hanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

I developed a 20 page/post site on Windows 7 (IIS 7.5) localhost that I'd like to transfer to my Godaddy.com Deluxe Hosting account (clean install). Most pages/posts have tables and/or images. I want everything to be exactly the same (pages, images, themes, settings). Only change will be the domain name after the transfer. WP version is 2.9.2. Permalinks are enabled on IIS 7.5, but I could change this. Is this possible with the $25 version? What will I have to change? I am using the latest Heatmap theme. I will purchase the software if everything will transfer. Thanks for your help.

#2 Dustin Bolton

Dustin Bolton

BackupBuddy Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Builder, All Plugins, Webdesign, BackupBuddy, Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

BackupBuddy should be able to completely migrate everything you've listed. BackupBuddy will back up and migrate all content, settings, posts, custom styles, widget settings, etc. to your new site with a different domain. Just back up your source site with BackupBuddy then upload the ZIP backup file and the importer/migration script, importbuddy.php, and load importbuddy.php in your browser and allow the on-screen instructions to perform the migration.

I do point out that we recommend against Godaddy as a huge number of our customers have had difficulties with their hosting services, including problems with security and performance. BackupBuddy is compatible with it though and offers a compatibility mode should you be placed on a slower older server.

As always, with the plugin purchase you will get access to our support for assistance should anything go wrong, which it shouldn't.
The BackupBuddy Guy - Dustin Bolton's Website - Twitter - Linked In

#3 Guest_Michael Hanton_*

Guest_Michael Hanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

Okay, good. I believe I sawon your sitethat Backupbuddy required Linux hosting. Since my source site is IIS 7.5 (Windows 7) will this be an issue? Note that I will be running the transfer on the Windows 7 PC running IIS 7.5.

Here is the text on your site that indicates Backupbuddy only works on Linux:

PluginBuddy makes plugins to be used in the free WordPress software platform. In short, in order to use one of our plugins, you’ll need:

• a domain name
  • web hosting (Linux platform)
  • the free WordPress software installed
Thanks for your help.

Edited by Michael Hanton, 10 May 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Guest_Michael Hanton_*

Guest_Michael Hanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

Can someone please respond to this? I migrated the site without backup buddy (using manual means), but I want to use backup buddy if it supports Linux (godaddy) to Windows 7 IIS (IIS 7.5) backup.

Thanks.

#5 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

Hi Michael,

I left a message to Dustin requesting him to reply to your question.

He is usually off on the weekends. Please wait till Monday.

#6 Dustin Bolton

Dustin Bolton

BackupBuddy Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Builder, All Plugins, Webdesign, BackupBuddy, Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

I have updated the FAQ page to correct this. Windows IS supported. However, since native command line zip is unavailable, BackupBuddy will fall back to compatibility mode which is slower. Depending on server configuration and site size this can cause a problem as your server may end the process before the backup can finish. There are options to make this less likely to occur such as disabling compression. If you have access to server configuration then you can increase PHP timeout length and/or add a Windows native command line ZIP so this is not an issue.
The BackupBuddy Guy - Dustin Bolton's Website - Twitter - Linked In