Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Pre Sale Purchase Wp Server Migration

site migration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken Schlenker_*

Guest_Ken Schlenker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have built a new website (first time in wordpress) at http://sandbox.careforce.us and want to replace a non wordpress site at the root http://careforce.us

Does your product allow me to simply backup up sandbox.careforce.us and restore to careforce.us?

I am on a virtual dedicated server hosted by godaddy

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

Yes, BackupBuddy will allow you to migrate the development site from your subdomain to the main domain. Technically we would call this a migration (sometimes called a move or even a clone by some people) because the site url and installation directory are changing and you will likely create and use a new database for the migrated site so that you can keep the existing subdomain site for testing and further development as may be required.

As you have an existing site in place in the main domain installation directory you may want to separately backup that site first (if it's a static site then by a simple file copy) and remove it's files at least from the installation directory as these can sometimes interfere with the migration process and/or the functioning of your migrated site after migration is completed.

I would also suggest that you practice with a test migration to some other test subdomain for example so that you are familiar with the process and this will minimise any downtime you may have when doing the actual migration to replace your existing site.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."