Dreamhost Vps Performance Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_goonflume_*

Guest_goonflume_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

I've read in your wiki that DreamHost is ranked as a D to F in terms of quality of support for BackupBuddy.  The article isn't clear if this is related to just their generic hosting service or if VPS (Virtual Private Server) users are effected here as well.  

So my question: Do VPS clients have the same hangups that generic hosting clients?  If the answer is unknown, would BuddyPress be willing to help me test the software on a DreamHost VPS?

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

Hi goodflume

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

Not quite sure what you mean by "hangups" but certainly you'll find variations in capabilities and performance of all hosting whether it be shared, VPS, dedicated or whatever. The top of the page you linked to has a link to a document about choosing a host and that includes a section on things to aim for with regard to BackupBuddy and that might help as a basis for requirements along with whatever additional requirements you have - in the end the decision on what host to choose is of course yours.

But certainly don't just assume that if you have a VPS (from any host) you'll be better off than on good shared hosting - a VPS is still sharing resources, that's where the V(irtual) comes from, it's just that likely you are sharing them with fewer other users. Also with a VPS, unless you have a contract that includes the same level of support that you might get with a shared hosting contract, you'll be very much on your own - effectively _you_ become the "host support" for many things that would normally be handled by shared hosting support. Also generally a VPS comes as a more "bare bones" setup and there will be things that you might have taken for granted on shared hosting that just will not be there and you'll be responsible for installation and setup. So unless you are technically savvy (you may well be and that's good) think very hard about going the VPS route rather than getting good shared hosting. But of course the flip-side is that you have much more control over the configuration so you are less likely to run into constraints that you cannot overcome - but you have to know how to configure all the components of your system and that is not a trivial task or something that we provide support for.

As regards BackupBuddy on whatever hosting you have, we will provide the support for you to help identify and resolve issues that you may have the same as we provide for any Customer. In some cases we would always refer to the hosting support as the issue lies within the hosting/server and we do not provide hosting support (hosting support are the experts on their particular servers, not us) - in such cases you would be the host support and so the responsibility would be yours. Your hosting support will follow the same process model as well with anything that might normally have been covered by shared hosting support but is not covered by VPS support.

Please let us know if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_goonflume_*

Guest_goonflume_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thank you for your reply, Jeremy.

Since we have a number of WordPress sites hosted on DreamHost's VPS system already, I'm really interested in finding out if BackupBuddy will work OK on the VPS, but I don't want to part with nonrefundable $150 to find this out, or even $50 if we were to buy a single license.

I would, however, be willing to sponsor a VPS box for you guys for a few days for you to test on your own volition.  If this is something that sounds interesting to you, contact me via email.  You should find that I've been in contact with a Charleen from sales on May 7th regarding a VPS operation questions.  She has my contact information.