Child Theme Vs Builder Clarification + Pods Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Karen_*

Guest_Karen_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hello,

I recently decided to use Custom Post Types and Taxonomies on our site because most sites that handle our needs (our site is a list site where the list needs to be viewed in different orders and different subsets)  While I once coded mainframes & minis, I don't know this platform and want to stick with plug-ins/widgets where ever possible and avoid needing to code. I am comfortable with short code or other minor changes.

I've done a little work on a site in Word Press, so I'm a beginner. I've looked at the information on your site and I'm just a little confused about the Builder in iThemes.

Do I need to also select a theme for Builder? I noticed that many themes say they're 'powered by Builder'. What does that mean exactly?  If I use one of these themes, will it come with Builder so I can create my own layouts?

It looks like I can build from a basic framework and use style manager to create the css, is that correct?

Are there layout maps available for each of the themes? I looked at the documentation and I didn't find them...maybe I missed it.

I've selected Pods for my CPT plug-in. They suggest iThemes as a very compatible theme...are there limitations with this compatibility where Pods does not work very well, i.e. particular themes or building blocks?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers, Karen

#2 Guest_Karen_*

Guest_Karen_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I decided to dig into the detailed documentation and found that there is a Builder default child theme.

I'll spend the afternoon reading the documentation which I think will answer most of my questions.

I'll update as I go. Any comments are still welcome!!

Cheers! Karen

#3 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,144 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi Karen,

using a child theme in WordPress (it's not a Builder thing) is the easiest way to make changes to a WordPress theme, without having to edit the actual theme. When editing the actual theme, you make it much harder to upgrade to a newer version, since all modifications will have to be reapplied. So that is basically all a child theme enables. Another feature is that we can use such child themes to create variations, different layouts, and even different functionality without having to edit the Core Builder. So we still have all the features of Builder (the layout manager, views, extensions, Builder Blocks, Stylemanager plugin) and can continue to upgrade Builder, and the actual looks will not be affected.

Note that Stylemanager plugin is a generic Builder tool, it is not tailored for each child theme, so not all changes to the styling can be done in all themes using Stylemanager. We are here on the support forums to help out (if required and requested) with such customisations (within limits, we're not here to accept PSD files and code new child themes for you :) ).

Pods will work on Builder and Builder Child themes as it will on any other WordPress theme. Buiilder Blocks are very specific, and provide specific functionality (sometimes even tied to a specific Child theme), and as such are "standalone" addons.

hope this clarifies a bit, do let us know if you have any more specific questions,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.