Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

What Does Back Up Buddy Do With The Old Static Or Wordpress Site?

Back up buddy old site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Deepa_*

Guest_Deepa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

I am thinking of getting back up buddy. I am redesigning a static web site for a client in Wordpress.
I want to do multiple back ups to the client site.

1. 1st back up from my test site to the client site, will contain pages same as their current site.
2. I will continue development (re design) in my test site and periodically back up to the client site.

What does Back up buddy do with the old site files each time for both the static site and Wordpress site?

Thank you,
Deepa

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hi Deepa,

When BackupBuddy creates a backup of a site, the contents of the backup will contain the site's content at the time the backup was created. It doesn't affect the source site any to create a backup of it. Each time a backup is created it is a new separate backup, not an "on-going" single backup.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Deepa_*

Guest_Deepa_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't word my question correctly.

What happens to the files in the static or wordpress site "being" replaced i.e. the destination site?

Thank you,
Deepa

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hi Deepa,

Part of a migration/restore is to remove the WordPress installation if there is one already at the destination site. So if taking a backup of a site and migrating it to a new spot and there is already a site there (such as going from a dev site to a live site), then the site already there would have to be removed first.

There also needs to be a blank database to import then migrate in but for that one can either create a new database to use (so old database would still exist, just not pointed to so is the safer method) or wipe the old one to use it again (probably the faster method to handle the database part of a migration/restore).

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_deepa_*

Guest_deepa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi Akers,

I understand.
My project involves only about 6-7 pages.

So, I am thinking of :

1. Converting the existing site to Wordpress pages on my test site.

2. Backing up to the client site's root directory (currently a static site) using Backup Buddy.

3. Working on the new pages on my test site and just cut & paste to transfer content to the client site.
As WordPress allows to create pages which need not be put in the main menu right away.

That way, I don't need to back up the full thing every time.

Also, doesn't index.php take lower precedence than index.html?
So, for the 1st time back up from my WordPress test site to client static site, the destination shouldn't need to be removed ?

Thank you

#6 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi Deepa,

The index precedence is a server setting so it depends on server.

Don't need to remove the WordPress installations for backing up a site, that's only for restores and migrations.

Thanks,
-Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX