Question About Backupbuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Tony B_*

Guest_Tony B_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

I am very close to purchasing backupbuddy. It seems like a great way to transfer files/changes from a dev environment to a production environment (if I'm wrong, please let me know). I'm a somewhat novice web developer but think I understand the fundamentals :)

Quick question though - is it possible with backupbuddy to transfer files and modify DB structure but not change DB content? On my production server I will have a lot of user generated content and I would not want it overwrite it with test content.

Thanks in advance for your response.

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,412 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi Tony,

BackupBuddy can't "merge" sites, it's a site migration/restore plugin and when it migrates/restores a site it is doing the (generally) whole site minus backup exclusions. So can migrate a live site to a development location, then when done with that can migrate the migrate the dev site with BackupBuddy to the live site's location, but the dev site will be what is now at live.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX