Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Will Backupbuddy Use New Wordpress Installation When I Transfer My Site?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think part of my basic Wordpress installation is corrupted. The website frontend works fine, but there are a couple of things in the dashboard that have changed in the past month. (My host messed around with my files one day during a support call.)

I would like to migrate my site to another host or to just start with a new installation of Wordpress, keeping all of my actual content files and settings. Is this possible with Backup Buddy?

Thanks,
Beth

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

Hi Beth

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

BackupBuddy can certainly help you migrate your site to another host and of course also provide an ongoing backup and recovery solution - but bear in mind if there are issues with the site then as the migration would be of the complete site as it stands then any such issues would likely still be present if they relate to your site and not the hosting.

If you have a fresh WordPress installation on another hosting then BackupBuddy is not designed to "merge" selected aspects of your current site into a new installation. WordPress itself provides export/import tools (under the Tools menu) for exporting content from one site into another site but this in itself would not transfer over anything to do with plugins or themes, it is really directed at content - but if you manually set up your new site to be using the same themes and plugins you could possible use settings export/import functionality for themes and any plugins that have that to transfer such settings across.

You might try simply reinstalling the WordPress core functionality on your current site and also you can deactivate and delete plugins and then reinstall them to get fresh copies if you think there may be problems with any plugin(s). For most plugins you would not lose any settings as these would not be removed from the database by deactivating/deleting a plugin. You should be able to find information on reinstalling WordPress into a current installation from the WordPress.org site in the Codex and/or forums.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."