Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

Can Backup Buddy Help With This Complex Job?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Amelia Franz_*

Guest_Amelia Franz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

Hi,

Can I use Backup Buddy to do the following?

I have built a "demo" site for a client on a subdomain of my WP multisite at hostgator.

The client has an existing WP site on a top-level domain (not hostgator). The site is a mess, and we have completely re-done it on my demo/development subdomain site. The theme has changed, along with new plugins and content. It is a total re-do.

Can I use Backup Buddy to move these files (from my development subdomain) onto their existing domain, so that when someone types in their domain name, they will see the newly-developed site, rather than their old one?

The main domain (wezeshatz.org) will be used for the home page, but the other urls (such as for pages and posts) will be different from the ones on their original site, because the content is different.

I assume I would need to somehow delete all those old files and clean out that database first, before moving over the new files to the existing domain? Otherwise, it seems that these urls would have conflicts. Or does Backup Buddy have some way of "overriding" the old pages, posts, etc.?

I am not an expert with databases and these things. I have backed up sites before and worked in cpanel some, have worked just a bit with setting up Mysql databases in a very simple way, but really am a beginner at this.

If it helps understand this problem, the demo url is: demodemo.franzworks.com. Their existing WP site and domain is at wezeshatz.org.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. If Backup Buddy can help me do this, I will purchase it.

--Amelia Franz

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi Amelia,

Multisite functionality in BackupBuddy is experimental so standalone sites are preferred if possible, especialy anything involving the main site of a multisite.

BackupBuddy can pick up and move sites elsewhere, multisite export technically can export the site to be restored elsewhere as a standalone.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX