Restore To Clean Install

BackupBuddy restore wordpress install

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Graham_*

Guest_Graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hi.  I'm considering purchasing a 10 site licence of BackupBuddy for the first time having used free backup plugins until now.  I've had a look at your tutorials and those on YouTube but can't find much information on the restore process for a clean Wordpress install, i.e. if you can't restore the files incrementally and need to start from scratch, or you don't have access to the Dashboard. I use cPanel so anything related to that would be useful.  Please can you point me in the right direction. Cheers.  G.

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi Graham

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "...the restore process for a clean WordPress install..."? The BackupBuddy Complete/Full backup is used to restore a site the the same state that it had when the backup was taken (so restore files - including WordPress core - and the database). A restore is done using the standalone tool importbuddy which is executed through your browser interface and not through the WordPress dashboard. You don't even have to have a control panel provided you have ftp () or equivalent type access to the server and a means to create a database and associated user (if not reusing the existing database to restore to). Many Customers use BackupBuddy/importbuddy on local (desktop) development systems that don't have control panels in the commercial hosting sense.

The latest version of BackupBuddy _does_ have a "View & Restore Files" feature but this is not meant for a complete site restore but instead, for example, suppose you inadvertently deleted a few files or a directory, you can bring a backup back to your site from an offsite destination (or using one you may still have on site) and restore files or directories from that backup - or view a file and maybe see the previous value of something that you changed, or whatever.

I hope I have understood your enquiry correctly and have provided the information that you need. Please let us know if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostJeremy Trask, on 27 June 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Hi Graham

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "...the restore process for a clean WordPress install..."? The BackupBuddy Complete/Full backup is used to restore a site the the same state that it had when the backup was taken (so restore files - including WordPress core - and the database). A restore is done using the standalone tool importbuddy which is executed through your browser interface and not through the WordPress dashboard. You don't even have to have a control panel provided you have ftp () or equivalent type access to the server and a means to create a database and associated user (if not reusing the existing database to restore to). Many Customers use BackupBuddy/importbuddy on local (desktop) development systems that don't have control panels in the commercial hosting sense.

The latest version of BackupBuddy _does_ have a "View & Restore Files" feature but this is not meant for a complete site restore but instead, for example, suppose you inadvertently deleted a few files or a directory, you can bring a backup back to your site from an offsite destination (or using one you may still have on site) and restore files or directories from that backup - or view a file and maybe see the previous value of something that you changed, or whatever.

I hope I have understood your enquiry correctly and have provided the information that you need. Please let us know if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy
Thanks for the quick response Jeremy.  Ok, so the restore is independent of the dashboard and executed through my browser.  Sounds like there's plenty of flexibility with the 'View & Restore Files' feature.  Thanks again.