Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Please Note:

The iThemes offices will be closed Thursday Nov. 27 and Friday Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.

Support will be limited, as we allow our support staff to spend some well deserved time off with their families. The iThemes Support team wishes you a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Red Bud Theme Suitable?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Lesley_*

Guest_Lesley_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

I already have a wordpress bog with wp-ecommerce where purchases are downloadable files. I am interested in the Red Bud theme and have a number of questions. I want to know if it would be suitable for me to add this type of e-commerce (with downloadable files) to the theme? Would I be able to use my existing wp-ecommerce plug-in our would I need to have a developer customise it for me? Also, could I have the blog page as my home page? Am I able to incorporate my existing widgets & plugins? Can I seamlessly transfer over existing blog without losing any content? How much of this can I do myself without having to use a developer? So many questions! Please help?

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,130 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hi,

View PostLesley, on 05 July 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I want to know if it would be suitable for me to add this type of e-commerce (with downloadable files) to the theme? Would I be able to use my existing wp-ecommerce plug-in our would I need to have a developer customise it for me?

a theme is only the "skin" of the site, and should not affect any functionality. Although we have e-commerce ready themes (Depot, Market, Thrifty and Threads), an e-commerce plugin will work on any theme, including Builder child themes. The difference with the e-commerce ready themes is that those will already have styling incorporated.

Whether or not you need a developer to customise it for you depends on your own skills, and the level of customisation you wish to apply.

Also, could I have the blog page as my home page?

yes, Builder (and WordPress for that matter) allows you to set any page as the home page of your site.

Am I able to incorporate my existing widgets & plugins? Can I seamlessly transfer over existing blog without losing any content? How much of this can I do myself without having to use a developer? So many questions! Please help?

Existing plugins, content (such as posts, pages, products, categories, comments etc.) are not affected when changing a theme. Widget are a different story, since they are tied to the theme, but they will be moved to an "inactive widgets" area, and can be re-used in another theme's widgets. I am not sure what you mean by "transfer over existing blog"? Do you intend to set up a new site based on your existing site? In that case, our BackupBuddy plugin comes in handy.

How much of this can I do myself without having to use a developer?

Again, it depends on your skills, but if you have a working knowledge of WordPress, and after going through the Builder tutorials, along with the help you receive on the Builder support forum, you don't need a developer to change the theme. However, if you want to do customisations (change the styling of the pages and content) you can use Stylemanager plugin (for basic changes),and you may also want to familiarise yourself with CSS. But it is hard to respond with a yes or no, as it depends on the level and complexity of customisations you wish to apply.

You can always test the "changing a theme" procedure by changing to one of the free WordPress themes and notice the impact. I would suggest that you perform such tests on a test site, not on your live site. DO make sure that you make a full backup of your site and database, so you can always revert back. To create a copy of your site, and for full Backup functionality, again, BackupBuddy is the tool to use.

I hope these help,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.