Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Change Database Details During Migration

database migrate edit change

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nikki Stokes_*

Guest_Nikki Stokes_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hi,

Can you change the database details during migration?

For the host I am using, I would need to create a new database separately from the restore/migrate process, and then restore my backup using those new details.

Is this possible using BackupBuddy?

Nikki

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,417 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi Nikki

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

Certainly during a restore/migration there is a step where you provide the details for the database to use (database server address, database name, database user, database user password and table name prefix).

For a restore these can be kept the same and you can select for the restore utility to delete any existing tables in the database. Alternatively for a restore you can use the same database details as currently used but just choose a new unique table name prefix and then you don't even have to delete the old tables immediately but can do it later.

For a migration, obviously if this is to a new host/server then you have to provide new details for the new database with the new host/server. If you are migrating to, say, a new url on the same hosting/server then you can treat it like a restore and use the same database details but choose a new table name prefix if required.

So basically you can do as you are asking but there is flexibility if you want to approach it differently.

We hope this provides the information that you need but if you have any additional question or clarification in this respect please let us know, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Nikki Stokes_*

Guest_Nikki Stokes_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Jeremy. That does answer my question thank you.

Basically I was planning on using BackupBuddy to clone a WP install, for the purposes of development, on our host in the US. So intially I will set up a new instance and then clone it to a new URL on the same server, but with new database details, so it is a completely separate instance that I can play around with, break and not affect my main development instance. Eventually, I will then also migrate my completed development instance to a new (closer to us) host in Australia. Ongoing, I expect to clone the WP instance from Australia to the US, and use it to try out new features etc.

It sounds like BackupBuddy has the flexibility to accommnodate all of this.