Backupbuddy Presale Questions

backupbuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Louis Porter_*

Guest_Louis Porter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing BackupBuddy to use on our locally hosted Intranet (running on a Windows server).

I have 2 questions.

1) We have quite a unique setup, so if the plugin doesn't work - will I A) Be able to get support? or B) be able to get a refund?

2) What's the maximum size BackupBuddy can handle? Our site is about 2gb in size and I read online that BackupBuddy isn't that great at handling large amounts of data. Is this true?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

#2 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello Louis,

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy!

1) When you purchase BackupBuddy you get one full year of support and updates. Our support is handled in our community forum. The posts are moderated by iThemes employed moderators.

2) 2gb is pretty large but BackupBuddy can handle it. What sometimes causes issues is the actual hosting configuration. Some hosts set limits on resources available and restricts the functionality of BackupBuddy. There are workarounds for issues like these and support is here for you!

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#3 Guest_Louis Porter_*

Guest_Louis Porter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

Thanks Gerroald.

That's great - we're hosting internally, on a windows server, so are there any default settings that could cause issues?

Thanks

#4 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hey Louis,

This is from the specifications portion of the BackupBuddy Codex:

Windows (only supported for local development via Apache; IIS is not officially supported).

We have had customers with success on them, and we'd be happy to provide the best support we can to get you set up. Below is a link to our codex listing more specifications and recommendations.

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy#Specifications

Give this a look and let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#5 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi Louis

As you specifically mention 2GB or thereabouts you should be aware that 32 bit PHP has a limitation on file size handling over 2GB (nothing to do with BackupBuddy, this is a PHP limitation) so you better make sure you have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit native PHP.

Do you have any specific references for what you mention you read on line? Unfortunately misinformation born of individuals generalizing their own experiences due to things like their hosting constraints or through lack of understanding s all to common and just causes confusion. Basically BackupBuddy is marshalling the capabilities and resources that your host allows you to use so your limitations are based on those. If you are in charge of your own server then of course you have much more freedom to manage those capabilities and resources to make available what you need in order to create the backups you need. But as Gerroald mentions there are a variety of options and strategies that can be used to overcome various types of constraint.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."