Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Migrating Question

migration sub-folder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_stillinbeta_*

Guest_stillinbeta_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hello ithemes,

I apologize if this is a newb question...

Let's say I were to develop a site for a client on a sub-folder of my own domain. When the time comes to migrate the completed site to the client's server, would there be problems with the permalinks or can BackupBuddy handle that type of move too without problem?

I know that you make it easy to go from a local environment to a live server, but just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem if I developed the site on a sub-folder of my own domain and then moved it to the client's server?

Thank you for your time!

Chris

http://savageomg.com

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,359 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks for your enquiry about BackupBuddy.

The process is the same in all cases: Local<->Local, Local<->Live, Live<->Live and regardless of whether source and destination are on the same server or not (and that does include Local and Live being on the same machine since it is possible to have an externally accessible site on  desktop machine along with a separate local development environment if you have the know-how :-)

Just as a recommendation - if you are doing development of a new site under your domain use a subdomain (e.g., devsite.mydomain.com) rather than a subdirectory (e.g., mydomain.com/devsite) - it's much cleaner and avoids some potential gotchas. Setting up subdomains through your control panel is a very simple process (you can check with your host if not sure). The site is still installed in a subdirectory of your main site installation directory _but_ it is accessed directly rather than "through" your main site.

Please let us know if you have any further question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."