Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Alternative Web Hosting To Go Daddy

Go Daddy

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Richard Burton_*

Guest_Richard Burton_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

I have been using Go Daddy for my web hosting for a few years and not real happy with their product and looking for alternatives.

My business is single family property management and I have about 20 websites pertaining to my primary business. what would be the best alternatives for web hosting for about 20 websites. All of my sites have been created with Builder and I use backup buddy as well

what would be the best practice for moving a live site from one hosting company to another?

thanks

#2 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostRichard Burton, on 05 August 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

I have been using Go Daddy for my web hosting for a few years and not real happy with their product and looking for alternatives.

My business is single family property management and I have about 20 websites pertaining to my primary business. what would be the best alternatives for web hosting for about 20 websites. All of my sites have been created with Builder and I use backup buddy as well

what would be the best practice for moving a live site from one hosting company to another?

thanks
Hi Richard,

Yep you might be a sticky situation since you built those using Builder, do you know if GoDaddy let's you export those? Usually for a website builder those can't be used at another host and its not exportable to a new host. It is one reason I'm not a huge fan of that software as it really traps users.

Or are all 20 of those sites built using WordPress and using backup buddy?

Moving WordPress sites is easy and most hosting companies offer free migration (we do for example). You really want to use a host who does offer that service as then they handle everything. But if you were doing it on your own you would need to dump the database to a .sql file, download the files, and then import the database and files to the new host. There are also some tricks to do it without any downtime, want me to post a list?

Thanks, Ben

#3 Amy London

Amy London

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, Student
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

If I'm understanding Guest_Richard_Burton_* I think he's talking about the fact that he used iThemes' 'Builder' parent/child theme for constucting WordPress websites. These are not specific to GoDaddy, and should be fine to backup using BackupBuddy and migrate over to any hosting provider. Builder is a framework used on top of WordPress.

If that's the case it should be ok to move to Site5, yes? :)

#4 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostAmy, on 05 August 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

If I'm understanding Guest_Richard_Burton_* I think he's talking about the fact that he used iThemes' 'Builder' parent/child theme for constucting WordPress websites. These are not specific to GoDaddy, and should be fine to backup using BackupBuddy and migrate over to any hosting provider. Builder is a framework used on top of WordPress.

If that's the case it should be ok to move to Site5, yes? :)
Ah thanks Amy :), I was worried for a second he was going to be locked in to the godaddy website builder. I had a friend who got stuck last month inside that system, makes me wish they all had a wordpress export button.

Yep if you are WordPress we can move those all over for you, our migration page limits it to 10 non cPanel but I can waive those for anyone who needs more too.

Here is a video tutorial on how to do that with Backup Buddy too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-JJoW9lJIA

Most hosts are happy to help with that too since they want your business :), they should be jumping through hoops,

thanks, Ben

#5 Amy London

Amy London

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, Student
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

View Postbensite5, on 05 August 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Most hosts are happy to help with that too since they want your business :), they should be jumping through hoops,

Suprisingly (or not) when I was exploring a hosting company several months ago to inquire about site migration they said that wasn't part of their services and said to try an internet search for answers. Yikes!

Glad to hear Site5 is willing to go that extra step. Thanks!

#6 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostAmy London, on 05 August 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Suprisingly (or not) when I was exploring a hosting company several months ago to inquire about site migration they said that wasn't part of their services and said to try an internet search for answers. Yikes!

Glad to hear Site5 is willing to go that extra step. Thanks!
Wow crazy! It is such a pain to move it's a great way to alleviate that burden from the client and then you have a client for hopefully the next 10+ years.

I tried to find a list of other hosts that offer it as well and maybe it is rarer than I thought, I know HostGator does, MediaTemple does too but I think they charge a small fee, and having some trouble finding more.

Anyone know who else does?

#7 Guest_Richard Burton_*

Guest_Richard Burton_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Sorry I was not clear, I use iThemes Builder product and using backup buddy I stored the backup on Amazon's cloud service.

How would I do the actual transition without losing any "live"  time on my website?

I would have to transfer my domains to another hosting company, upload my back to another site, all the while my site is still live on the original host.

Do you have a check list of best practices to do to minimize down time?

#8 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

If you are using BackupBuddy you should be able to do it using this video that outlines the process:
http://ithemes.com/tutorials/how-to-manually-migrate-a-site-with-backupbuddy/

Or a host can handle all this for you as this is just a WordPress move :)

To do it manually here are the steps to a seamless transfer without any downtime.

1. Download the files and upload them to the new host.

2. Export the MySQL database and then import it into the new database. Change the wordpress config file on the new host to have the username and password and db name for the new host.

Key -> 3.  Change the old host's wp-config file to point to the new host's database. So instead of putting "localhost" you would put the IP address of the new hosting account. And the new database username/password and so on. This way both hosting locations are reading and writing to the same database so none of the dynamic content goes missing.

4. Then you are ready to close the old hosting account after you wait 24 hours after the DNS change over.

Too techie or does that help?

Thanks, Ben

#9 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,337 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd chip in with some additional information from my experience :-)

Not all hosts allow external access to/from database servers and those that do may require some specific configuration to do so. You can correct me Ben but I believe on Site5 you have to "register" the IP address from which a connection request may come for it to be allowed - so you need to know the IP address associated with the "old" site server and this can be additionally complicated if there is some kind of load sharing which may mean requests can come from different iP addresses. In such a case you may need to register all possible IP addresses, register some "range" or in the extreme simply allow connection from any IP (a little risky ;-)

An additional issue to bear in mind is that networks being networks a connection so established may not be so reliable as a "local" connection and there is a risk in WordPress that some failure to access, say, a value from the option table for a plugin, will result in  an empty result being returned and a plugin might then assume it has to use default values and these may then get written back to the database overwriting the actual value. Sure enough it may be  low risk and it may be a small window of opportunity but it can happen :-(

During the "changeover" period it will be the case that some people may be accessing the "old" host site and some the "new" host site. Certainly if any changes are confined to the database and these are compatible across both active servers then you _should_ be ok. However, if the site interaction involves anything else such as uploading then you may still end up with stuff on the wrong server so you may have to be prepared to "sync" the file content at some point. Also watch out for possible incompatibilities between values that may get stored in the database if there may be anything to do with file paths.

Some plugins may have "cached" absolute file path values for some uses - these may be cached in the database or written into auto-generated config files. These can cause things to break or behave strangely if not updated for a new server - but as mentioned if such values are in the database then updating whilst "sharing" a database may in itself cause problems and strange behaviour.

So I'm not saying it can't be done _but_ either you need to know that these kind of things are not going to be an issue or you need to have a process defined that incorporates management of these kind of issues :-)

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#10 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yep good points!

cPanel hosts will have the option to allow it 99% of the time on the "Remote Access" section of MySQL, some will have it enabled by default too. Yep at Site5 you would need to register it on that page, or add in "%" for wild card. And you should remove that line when done too.

It def isn't something I recommend unless you are up for an adventure :). The problems Jeremy mentioned are rare but when they happen they can be the most frustrating because they are so rare its hard to debug them.

Generally it is better to let the host handle it or use BackupBuddy.
Thanks, Ben

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the WordPress Hosting Questions forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users