Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Vps - Beginners Guide To Best Settings In Whm

whm vps

5 replies to this topic

#1 bobcatou

bobcatou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for creating this forum.  I think this will be a great resource.

I just jumped into the world of a VPS and WOW...WHM is involved for sure.

Can anyone recommend a step by step guide to tweaking settings to a managed VPS so you can get the right balance of security to performance to compatibility for WordPress?  There are so many options in the WHM and I get a little weary of of making changes to the defaults, but I know there are things I can do to secure my site and make it more WordPress friendly.

Thanks
Bryan

#2 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi Bryan,

I love VPS :), so much better than a shared environment.

Did you go with unmanaged so you are also managing the stack (apache/mysql) or is the host handling php/apache type stuff? (Asking so I can figure out what you can modify :) )

Thanks, Ben

#3 bobcatou

bobcatou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postbensite5, on 05 August 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Hi Bryan,

Did you go with unmanaged so you are also managing the stack (apache/mysql) or is the host handling php/apache type stuff? (Asking so I can figure out what you can modify :) )

Thanks, Ben

I went with a managed site.   I'm looking forward to learning this new area for me...hopefully without breaking too much. :frown:

#4 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostBryan Cady, on 05 August 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks, Ben

I went with a managed site.   I'm looking forward to learning this new area for me...hopefully without breaking too much. :frown:
Hmm, if you went with a managed vps they probably don't want you to change much, although for a lot of hosts they just slap managed on there and enable cPanel/whm stable updates. Kinda depends on the host and how they define that :). From what you mentioned it sounds like they gave your root access though.

But if you do want to try some system admin type stuff to improve performance you could do things like:

1. One big thing that can speed up how PHP serves is switching from suphp to mod_fcgid (FastCGI), as its way faster and better about reusing the same php process. This is what we moved to using on our servers, but I do know we had to write a few custom modules to make mod rewrite work perfectly for all clients (but shouldn't impact you if you only have a few sites on here and can check them all).
Article: http://2bits.com/articles/apache-fcgid-acceptable-performance-and-better-resource-utilization.html

2. Install APC or some type of php caching.

3. install Memcache to setup with WordPress possibly.

What size VPS did you get in terms of memory? As some of these are going to use more memory and you will probably need at least 1.5GB to 2GB for most of these to work well.

The cPanel / WHM forums are good too:
http://forums.cpanel.net/forum.php
*You can search for these things + on google for tutorials.

Be careful though as you can also easily break Apache possibly with some of these, plus you need to keep them updated going forward so you don't have any security problems. This isn't easy stuff to change / modify so just wanted to mention that.

Thanks, Ben

#5 bobcatou

bobcatou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Postbensite5, on 06 August 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

View PostBryan Cady, on 05 August 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks, Ben

Hmm, if you went with a managed vps they probably don't want you to change much, although for a lot of hosts they just slap managed on there and enable cPanel/whm stable updates. Kinda depends on the host and how they define that :). From what you mentioned it sounds like they gave your root access though.

But if you do want to try some system admin type stuff to improve performance you could do things like:

1. One big thing that can speed up how PHP serves is switching from suphp to mod_fcgid (FastCGI), as its way faster and better about reusing the same php process. This is what we moved to using on our servers, but I do know we had to write a few custom modules to make mod rewrite work perfectly for all clients (but shouldn't impact you if you only have a few sites on here and can check them all).
Article: http://2bits.com/articles/apache-fcgid-acceptable-performance-and-better-resource-utilization.html

2. Install APC or some type of php caching.

3. install Memcache to setup with WordPress possibly.

What size VPS did you get in terms of memory? As some of these are going to use more memory and you will probably need at least 1.5GB to 2GB for most of these to work well.

The cPanel / WHM forums are good too:
http://forums.cpanel.net/forum.php
*You can search for these things + on google for tutorials.

Be careful though as you can also easily break Apache possibly with some of these, plus you need to keep them updated going forward so you don't have any security problems. This isn't easy stuff to change / modify so just wanted to mention that.

Thanks, Ben

I don't have the FastCGI option right now so I am only able to use SUPHP.  Not sure how to set that up.  I guess by adding a module?  Also I plan to use this for several websites for my clients so as you say, maybe that isn't a good thing to do.

I have a 768meg of dedicated ram + Burst Ram but I know from your webinars not to rely on the burst ram for much.

#6 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hmmm yep, if this is for clients I might try to grab a cheap unmanaged VPS to really play with if you are interested in trying new things. As then once you figure out x you can push it over to your production VPS. Or just find an old server at home to setup and play with is a possibility too.

Thanks, Ben

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the WordPress Hosting Questions forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whm, vps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users