Jump to content


Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.


Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Please Note:

The iThemes offices will be closed Thursday Nov. 27 and Friday Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.

Support will be limited, as we allow our support staff to spend some well deserved time off with their families. The iThemes Support team wishes you a great Thanksgiving weekend.

What Is The Most Confusing Or Frustrating Thing About Web Hosting?


13 replies to this topic

#1 bensite5

bensite5

    Hosting Expert

  • Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Would love some feedback, anything in particular that frustrates you? or that just seems overly confusing?

Thanks, Ben

#2 mwcannon

mwcannon

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

One of the things I find most frustrating is trying to convert from hardware speak to site needs/customer speak. It feels a lot like translating Sanskrit into Chinese via Cyriilc.

As an example, if you have a certain kind of VPS plan, what size or number of sites can you reasonably expect to host if each site has x number of views. I recognize that is difficult to predict since working with WordPress sometimes is a black art and the phases of the moon have an impact on it but surely we could get some kind of baseline for predicting site requirements. If you get a certain plan, say UVPS1, what's the difference you can see with an incremental jump to UVPS2. Does that effect load time, render time, or does the user actually notice a difference?

(I use those as examples because I was on Site5 today to sign up for a reseller package, not to throw stones.)  We ought to be able to quantify those incremental leaps for the client so we can say something more erudite than "start with Plan 1 and we'll add as needed."  :smile:

#3 bensite5

bensite5

    Hosting Expert

  • Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Great points!

Part of the problem is a lot of those variables are highly dependent on what the customer builds inside the hosting workshop. So for one customer moving from a UVPS1 to a UVPS2 might help load time but only because their site has variables x, y and z and is going to get more benefit from slightly more memory. And it is really really hard to put that in non tech speak because these are really technical items and just don't translate. And it requires a really in depth analysis of the website and platform it is on.

For example, on shared hosting we limit each user to 3 concurrent mod_fcgid php processes, but translating that to real-english is near impossible. A lot of people ask us does that mean that only 3 people can view my site? Kinda, but it takes microseconds to deliver those pages in most cases so it only becomes a limitation once your site is past the Resource Point limit for the different shared hosting plans (well past).

We are working on a project to give some benchmarks on base WordPress installs in Resource Points, so that customers can see that a base install of WordPress with super cache uses x Resources Points for 2,000 page views, and y for 4,000 page views. Would that be helpful or not enough?

And we are extending Resource Points to VPS so that you can see in most cases you can get 20,000 Resource Points a day or so on out of a VPSx etc. That will help too I assume to try to give a common metric right?


Thanks for the feedback!

#4 lauraupcott

lauraupcott

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, Builder, Webdesign, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi Ben,

I recently moved my site to a new host. These are definitely the most frustrating things I'm dealing with.
  • Not being able to verify the geographical location of the server where my website is being hosted.
  • Having my site load more slowly after moving to a new web host plan with better specs and a higher cost.
  • Switching from CPanel to and custom site manager, and not being able to easily switch back.
Thanks for asking!
Laura

#5 bensite5

bensite5

    Hosting Expert

  • Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostLaura Upcott, on 21 August 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Hi Ben,

I recently moved my site to a new host. These are definitely the most frustrating things I'm dealing with.
  • Not being able to verify the geographical location of the server where my website is being hosted.

  • Having my site load more slowly after moving to a new web host plan with better specs and a higher cost.

  • Switching from CPanel to and custom site manager, and not being able to easily switch back.
Thanks for asking!
Laura
Great stuff, few followups :)

1. Would the host not tell you the location?

2. What do you use to measure the site loading?

Thanks!
Ben

#6 lauraupcott

lauraupcott

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, Builder, Webdesign, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

1. Yes, they told me the location. But a traceroute showed that my IP was being hosted by worldwidehosting.com at a different location.

2. I use GTmetrix.com. But now that I've checked out the page load speeds in Google Analytics, I see that I was wrong about this point. My site is actually loading faster now.

#7 bensite5

bensite5

    Hosting Expert

  • Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostLaura Upcott, on 21 August 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

1. Yes, they told me the location. But a traceroute showed that my IP was being hosted by worldwidehosting.com at a different location.

2. I use GTmetrix.com. But now that I've checked out the page load speeds in Google Analytics, I see that I was wrong about this point. My site is actually loading faster now.

1. Gotcha, you should trust them :), the info you saw on the domain is the IP whois, that is just the address of the company that owns the IP address. For example our company owns a lot of IP addresses that are used at 19 locations around the world, but the company address is what you see on the IP whois. We work with a company who has servers in Brazil yet the IPs trace back to their corporate address in the USA for example.

2. Gotcha, the big variable would be where the test is run from, a single location or multiple. And a lot of those tests are very different in what they are measuring. Plus 80% of a site's load time is due to the design & platform, not the host. Rough guideline at least.

Does the site feel snappier from your location?

If you PM me your site URL I'd be happy to examine and see if I can recommend some speeds ups too,
Thanks, Ben

#8 lauraupcott

lauraupcott

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, Builder, Webdesign, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Ben! That's a generous offer.The truth is that I have a lot of work to do to optimize my websites. I'm slowly updating my sites with responsive Builder themes. I'm going to try to optimize my images, use more sprites, a CDN and, of course, caching.

#9 bensite5

bensite5

    Hosting Expert

  • Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostLaura Upcott, on 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Thanks Ben! That's a generous offer.The truth is that I have a lot of work to do to optimize my websites. I'm slowly updating my sites with responsive Builder themes. I'm going to try to optimize my images, use more sprites, a CDN and, of course, caching.
Np, just let me know!

I'd love to hear how that goes and the impact, helps to hear some live examples too of the impact a CDN makes too. Maybe you can post here to share too :)

Thanks, Ben

#10 georgepor

georgepor

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • Others: Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

My pet peeve is that when you go to practically any hosting provider and they will have what I call "the grid", just a huge data dump of everything their servers are capable of. A good example of "the grid": http://www.hawkhost.com/reseller-hosting

(In fairness to Site5 their grid is pretty compact and it seems someone actually went through it and curated it, pulling the highlighs into the grid: http://www.site5.com/resellers/web/.  The "features" section below the small grid is also pretty helpful.)

A host that has a huge grid just makes it confusing / intimidating for customers - instead of trying to be all things to all people, why not have separate landing pages for various marketing segments: Magento users get one landing page, WordPress users get another ("these are the things on our server setup that make us a great WordPress host ...").

View Postbensite5, on 21 August 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

We are working on a project to give some benchmarks on base WordPress installs in Resource Points, so that customers can see that a base install of WordPress with super cache uses x Resources Points for 2,000 page views, and y for 4,000 page views. Would that be helpful or not enough?

Yes it would. One problem w/ shared hosting I see, from the customer standpoint, is that your sharing resources w/ people using WordPress without caching. I'm working with a smaller shared host who keeps me in the loop on how much cpu time my sites use and it's eye opening: some of my sites with no content and a base WordPress install were each averaging around 3% cpu usage (all dropped to 0 after installing WP Super Cache). I'm happy to use them as a shared host b/c I know that they're actively policing everyone on the server.

#11 bensite5

bensite5

    Hosting Expert

  • Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostGeorge Z, on 24 August 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

My pet peeve is that when you go to practically any hosting provider and they will have what I call "the grid", just a huge data dump of everything their servers are capable of. A good example of "the grid": http://www.hawkhost.com/reseller-hosting

(In fairness to Site5 their grid is pretty compact and it seems someone actually went through it and curated it, pulling the highlighs into the grid: http://www.site5.com/resellers/web/.  The "features" section below the small grid is also pretty helpful.)

A host that has a huge grid just makes it confusing / intimidating for customers - instead of trying to be all things to all people, why not have separate landing pages for various marketing segments: Magento users get one landing page, WordPress users get another ("these are the things on our server setup that make us a great WordPress host ...").
Awesome thanks! We have a new site coming out any day now and going to work on de-gridding it a bit more too.



Quote

View Postbensite5, on 21 August 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

We are working on a project to give some benchmarks on base WordPress installs in Resource Points, so that customers can see that a base install of WordPress with super cache uses x Resources Points for 2,000 page views, and y for 4,000 page views. Would that be helpful or not enough?

Yes it would. One problem w/ shared hosting I see, from the customer standpoint, is that your sharing resources w/ people using WordPress without caching. I'm working with a smaller shared host who keeps me in the loop on how much cpu time my sites use and it's eye opening: some of my sites with no content and a base WordPress install were each averaging around 3% cpu usage (all dropped to 0 after installing WP Super Cache). I'm happy to use them as a shared host b/c I know that they're actively policing everyone on the server.
Yep it helps tremendously too, I think its the #1 item we recommend if a site is getting near limits. I added it on my personal blog which is super low traffic and cpu time / resource point usage dropped 50%.

Thanks for the tips!
Thanks, Ben

#12 authenticlime

authenticlime

    Member

  • Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

View Postbensite5, on 09 August 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Would love some feedback, anything in particular that frustrates you? or that just seems overly confusing?

Thanks, Ben

I find it overly  confusing, as to why anyone would use any hosting other then Site5.......been there a couple years now....and well its a dream compared to any I used in the past

#13 Guest_Howard_*

Guest_Howard_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've been with Startlogic for several years and had minimum problems with their service. I have about 15 domains with them and the only problem is their billing system is very confusing. For example emails saying I've been billed for a renewal and I have to search deep to find which domain etc. Seems very fragmented and hard to get a big picture.

#14 georgeireton

georgeireton

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

I am considering a new host for all WP sites. I have about 30. Currently using shared GD, has been just okay, but not the best I think. I see Site5 is endorsed by iThemes, and now SiteGround. So which is best now? I like the looks of SiteGround. I have backup buddy but not zachary sure how to use it to easily migrate.



Reply to this Topic


ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the WordPress Hosting Questions forum.


  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users