Backupbuddy And Ms Webmatrix

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Hi. I really like using Webmatrix to create my Wordpress sites locally. My server is Apache, though, so I cannot use Webmatrix to move the sites to server.
Seems there would be no issue, but just want to confirm before purchase: Will BackupBuddy work to migrate Wordpress sites created using MS Webmatrix to Apache server? Thank you.

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi Robert,

I haven't heard of or used Webmatrix before to know for complete sure. BackupBuddy works best on Apache but some have used it on IIS and nginx.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Seems to me like it shouldn't be a problem. At the end of the day it's still a Wordpress blog with a MySQL database.

But, since it's still early for what I'm trying to do (make all our sites Wordpress sites), should I just switch to XAMPP? Should work fine with XAMPP, right? The host I'm using is a reseller account with Eleven2. Apache. I see they have option for Litespeed plug-in, but does not appear to be activated on the server I am on.

If you can clear me up, I can probably get started.

Thank you!

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi Robert,

BackupBuddy can work with XAMPP.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

The web server I am on is Litespeed Web Server. Is this going to be a problem for Backupbuddy?

Thanks.

#6 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hi Robert

BackupBuddy doesn't have any issue with Litespeed _but_ earlier versions of Litespeed server (pre-4.2.2 and 4.2.2 except with an .htaccess hack) _do_ have problems with certain aspects of WordPress.

You should check with your host support that they are using at least 4.2.3 which has some additional server wide configuration that the host can use to prevent the issue - or as we understand it the .htaccess hack can still be used on a site specific basis). Your host _should_ be aware of this issue and _should_ be aware of the relevant configuration item in the server configuration as this is a _hosting_ issue and they are the hosting experts, not us. If they are not aware of the issue and of the relevant associated server wide configuration they should contact their server support who will be able to advise.

We are simply providing you with this information as a courtesy based on our experience with assisting Customers to identify the server issue and the contact we have had with the Litespeed developers in relation to resolving the problem and you should follow up with your host support, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#7 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ultimately, the only way to know if Backupbuddy will work on my server is to actually try it out. I'm not sure why there is no trial, or even a 1 Test License for potential customers to try out. If I knew for certain Backupbuddy would work, I'm in for life. Unfortunately, if there is no way to try it out, it's hard to evaluate or even know if it will work. No one wants to pay $75 - $197 for something that may not be right for them. Maybe you can address this issue? Thanks!

#8 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi Robert

According to my understanding, your original problem was that your local development environment Microsoft WebMatrix is limited in it's capabilities and can only easily move your sites to a another Microsoft server environment. Certainly seems a rather limiting constraint but perhaps either WebMatrix support or the Support function at your intended host can advise further as surely you cannot be the only person wanting to do this?

As I understand, WebMatrix uses IIS as the underlying server - the BackupBuddy product page FAQ on server requirements links to a more detailed recommendation that explicitly states IIS is not officially supported: BackupBuddy Specifications: Server Configuration and Minimum Requirements - IThemes Codex. Your original post made the statement "Seems there would be no issue, but just want to confirm before purchase" and we are informing you on the publicly available product information pages that IIS is not officially supported but we are also letting you know above that we do know that there are Customers using it on IIS.

You stated "Seems to me like it shouldn't be a problem. At the end of the day it's still a Wordpress blog with a MySQL database" - this is a statement of opinion and it is not our place to comment on opinions on a pre-sales and other enquiries forum.

You asked about using XAMPP and you were informed that BackupBuddy can work on XAMPP - which it can. But you must remember that this would be your local development environment and as such you are your own host support and so you are responsible for ensuring it is properly configured to run the WordPress application. XAMPP itself is just a general purpose hosting environment and other Customers certainly have had issues with it because it doesn't necessarily come ready for WordPress "out of the box". If you wanted to go that route you might want to look at something like DesktopServer which is XAMPP based but is an environment specifically configured for WordPress use.

You asked if Litespeed server was going to be a problem for BackupBuddy and we gave you a very specific answer that BackupBuddy itself doesn't have any issue with Litespeed but some versions of Litespeed do not fully support the operation of WordPress and to be helpful we gave you specific information to check with your host support to ensure you would not have any problems with running WordPress.

So far we have answered all your questions and there is certainly plenty of product information (publicly) available for you to be able to perform whatever assessment you think may be necessary in order to make your decision. You are quite at liberty to ask additional questions as that is what this pre-sales forum is for.

At the end of the day BackupBuddy is an established product from an established Company in use by many people on a wide range of hosts and server types for sites from a few tens of megabytes up to many gigabytes. Your membership gives you access to updates, including major version updates, throughout the membership period as well as Support to help you with problems you might be having due to site or server issues. We have many Customers who we know have tried various other options but in the end have come to BackupBuddy because it gives them what they need in terms of functionality and support.

So whilst we would be very happy if you would choose BackupBuddy we quite understand if you would prefer to try other possible solutions and you may well find one that suits your needs quite adequately which would be fine. What's important is that you have obviously recognized the need for backups and additional restore/migration functionality so identifying the solution that fits all your requirements is certainly something that you want to consider carefully.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#9 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Seems a trial version would save you and your company a lot of time. You make the point there are many different server configurations out there. Instead of answering all these questions and, at the end of the day still not know for certain if it will work in their specific configuration, someone could just try it out and make sure it works in their specific environment. Maybe that's an improvement you will consider adding in the future. Thank you!

#10 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Well, I scrapped MS WebMatrix for Serverpress DesktopServer, which pretty much solves my problems to develop locally and deploy to remote server. I will keep Backupbuddy in mind if I need to backup a site from server. Thanks for the answers!

#11 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hi Robert

Thanks for letting us know and happy that we were able to help you find a solution that was right for your current needs and we would be happy if you were to consider BackupBuddy in future for your site backups :-)

Regards...jeremy