Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Backup Buddy For Temp Wordpress Install Location

backup buddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NCS_*

Guest_NCS_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

We are installing WordPress in a subfolder called "wordpress". Then when the site is ready to go live we plan on moving the install to the root folder.

Will this mess up Backup Buddy? My concern is that I if setup Backup Buddy while our WordPress install is in the subfolder, that it may break when we move our install to the root directory.

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi NCS

Please clarify what you mean by  "break"?

How do you plan to "move" your installation?

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

By break I a mean that the backups will no longer occur.

We would move the installation out of the temporary folder into the root folder by changing the site URL in the settings, moving all the WordPress files over, and then fixing any link or image URLs if necessary.

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi NCS

Thanks for the clarifications. Well if you do the move (migration) properly (all the necessary database changes and file changes are done and done correctly so you don't corrupt the database) then there is no more reason that BackupBuddy would be broken than any other plugin, the theme or WordPress itself.

BackupBuddy itself is specifically designed (along with the use of the importbuddy tool that is an integral part of the product) for migrating sites but certainly if you know what you are doing, know what to look for, how to handle the specific data formats used in the database yourself or with a collection of appropriate tools and the right process you can certainly do a manual migration.

If you already have BackupBuddy then you might want to post your question(s) over on the dedicated Members Only forum which you get access to as part of your membership and you can access from your Member Panel after logging in to iThemes.com with your membership username and password, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Thank you very much for your answer. You can mark this as resolved!

#6 Guest_Tom Wood_*

Guest_Tom Wood_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

I am reviewing options available to help manage the development process of my site. Your product appears to offer a complete package of backing up the database, making the necessary internal updates (url updates) and also copying all the WP associated files. Assume I've gone through the process of development on a local PC, then the transfer of that configuration to a production environment for the first time. The site is live (either a tranditional blog or an ecommerce site, for example) and update/posts/orders have taken place. I now want to refresh my data on my development machine from the production environment. I'll then do additional development and updates as necessary. I assume the movement of the WP files is pretty straight forward - BB know how to accomplish this process. What about moving the database back to production, where new posts, customers,and order may have been added. How do you merge/update the portions of the database that were updated as a result of any code, plugin or widget  updates that are included in the database with the production data that may have new orders/posts/customers in it?

Thanks
Tom