Restore From Development Back To Production

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tom Wood_*

Guest_Tom Wood_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

I am reviewing options available to help manage the development process of my site. Your product appears to offer a complete package of backing up the database, making the necessary internal updates (url updates) and also copying all the WP associated files. Assume I've gone through the process of development on a local PC, then the transfer of that configuration to a production environment for the first time. The site is live (either a tranditional blog or an ecommerce site, for example) and update/posts/orders have taken place. I now want to refresh my data on my development machine from the production environment. I'll then do additional development and updates as necessary. I assume the movement back to production of the WP files is pretty straight forward - BB knows how to accomplish this process. What about moving the database back to production, where new posts, customers,and order may have been added. How do you merge/update the portions of the database that were updated as a result of any code, plugin or widget  updates that are included in the database with the production data that may have new orders/posts/customers in it? Or am I wrong in my understanding of what information is actually stored in the database.

Thanks
Tom

#2 dustout

dustout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, Builder, Webdesign, Premium Exchange Addon
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hello Tom,

BackupBuddy can indeed do what you describe up until the point of merging database contents. This functionality is not directly available.  However, it is possible to indirectly do this by creating a backup that excludes database tables you do not want overridden on your production site, such as posts, meta, comments, etc.  This would make it possible to import the local backup to production without overwriting posts there.  It's a slightly round-about solution but it's one way to achieve this until a better solution is implemented.  If you are only updating things like the theme files and such then on Import you may already select the advanced option to skip the database import process of the import.  This has a similar, but wider scope, effect as the above solution.

Does this answer your question? Thanks!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yes, you've confirmed what I thought would be possible, not necessarily what I'd like though! Are you indicating that with 'until a better solution' you are working on something that would do that?
You indicate I'd have the option of creating a backup on my dev environment and exclude certain tables that I did not want updated back into production?
I understand the other alternative on a restore of not even to select the DB for importing, but that brings up this next question.
I have seen the schema of the WP data tables, but that is at the 50k foot level. How do I find our what table a new plugin or theme may impact? As indicated, I'm attempting to run woocommerce in with a premium theme for my site. I understand the nature of any developer's product and that they can't very easily provide trial versions, but it is frustrating for new WP users trying to make sense of all the interaction of everybody's pieces of code.

On more general note, how long does it normally take for these chats to become live after submitting a reply?

Thanks for your assistance.
Tom

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

During the restore from dev back to production, If I do not import my database (as suggested as option 2 above), how will the search/replace for localhost/mydomainname.com take place?

#5 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi Tom

Thanks to Community Member dustout for providing information of their experience of how they used BackupBuddy/importbuddy for some specific process according to their requirement as it indicates the flexibility that we try to put into BackupBuddy :-)

However, to clarify, the iThemes product BackupBuddy is designed, marketed and sold as a WordPress _site_ backup/restore/migrate tool. The is no functionality within BackupBuddy, nor is there any supported workflow involving BackupBuddy, specifically for the purposes of merging WordPress sites, be that file or database content. Neither are there any specific plans to provide any such functionality. A tool to be able to merge sites (and in particular databases) to create a valid and internally consistent whole for this type of workflow that you describe might be considered the "golden fleece" of the WordPress world but to my knowledge (and I would be happy to be educated otherwise ;-) no such tool exists although it has been discussed in various quarters over the years (perhaps in general rather than specific terms).

Concerning capabilities that BackupBuddy provides - yes, there are database table exclusion/inclusion options and also file/folder exclusion options and you _may_ be able to use these as part of a workflow for creating "backup" files to port updated content to another site - and note I use the term "backup" advisedly in as much as this does not in itself constitute a file that you are creating for the purposes of backing up your _site_ (even if only partially) for potential restore or migration. The described purpose of your workflow is for partially _updating_ a site with new functionality. Now I don't mean to imply that you cannot do this if you know what you are doing and certainly BackupBuddy will not prevent you from doing this and if BackupBuddy can assist you in this respect then we would of course be very happy _but_ I just want to make sure your expectation is not that you _definitely will_ be able to do whatever you require, because if that were the case then you would be unhappy because you might think you had been led to believe there would be no issues with the support of your workflow (even though the actual published product information doesn't imply such support).

As regards what impact any plugin has on the WordPress code base and/or database, the developer of any product _should_ be able to tell you that, at least at a general level. For example, I can tell you that currently BackupBuddy will create some directories under wp-content/uploads (although the actual location where backups are stored can be customized) and istore your BackupBuddy Settings data in the _options table as well as some transient data and it makes use of the standard WordPress task scheduling mechanism, aka, WordPress cron. Currently it does _not_ automatically modify any files within the WordPress codebase or any configuration files such as .htaccess or wp-config.php and neither does it add any files to the codebase (other than of course the actual plugin files) that might act in a way so as to change the behaviour of your site compared to before BackupBuddy was installed.

You are indeed correct that it is virtually impossible to know or determine (without knowledge of the workings of a plugin or theme) what changes it may make to your site files and/or database but as I say the developers of any plugin/theme should be able to tell you this and if they can't (at least in general terms as I have done above) then you would wonder (i) whether they know how their plugin works; and (ii) what have they got to hide?

The subject of "interactions" between plugins though is a whole different and more complex matter. Certainly a common issue we come across is that of other plugins interfering one way or another with the operation of BackupBuddy - it may be as simple as an annoying display format interference to something that stops the actual functionality from working to a greater or lesser extent. Developers of reputable Premium plugins/theme will respond to this and resolve the problems but with free plugins there is no such responsibility incumbent upon the developer - you either choose to use their plugin/theme or not - and as the developers of the affected plugin we _may_ be able to code a workaround into our plugin if it is not generally disadvantageous to the wider audience _but_ we cannot fix all the ills of the WordPress world and so you may have to make a choice...

Regarding the appearance of posts in forums - in the public forums each post by a guest has to be approved and this may be delayed dependent on timezone issues. In the Members Only forums (or in the public forums as a Member) your posts appear as posted.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#6 Guest_Tom_*

Guest_Tom_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Dustout
Thank you for taking your time to respond. As a user of several other support forums, the participation of all members and their willingness to help is what makes these products so valuable. Thank you.
Jeremy,
Thanks for the thorough response and clarifications. As usual (at least for me), the responses have clarify the original question, but have led me to other aspects I may not have originally considered.
Again, thank you very much for the information.

I'm not sure of the process, but this thread can be considered closed from my perspective.
Tom

#7 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hi Tom

Thanks for the update and happy to know we were able to help in one way or another :-)

Of course we'd like you to use BackupBuddy but we also want you to get the solution that is right for you and your requirements - so if that isn't BackupBuddy at this time then that's fine also.

The topic will remain open until it is archived at some point, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."