Is Backupbuddy The Right Tool For Me?

testsite iis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Henk Barreveld_*

Guest_Henk Barreveld_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have built a website with WordPress for my bridge club. See www.bcstar.nl.

The website is running on a hosting service, vevida.com,  that uses Windows and IIS 8. Using this platform is unavoidable (I think), at least for the time being, because certain parts of the website are .asp files that use an MS Access database.

The website is currently located in the folder www.bcstar.nl/0/ (the Access database is in a different folder, somewhere "higher up" in the folder hierarchy). I want to make an exact copy of the site to a folder like www.bcstar.nl/1/, so that I can develop and test more or less serious changes, using exactly the same platform but without affecting the "live" website. When the changes are found to be all right, I would copy everything back to the /0/ folder. Instead of this last step it may even be nicer to rename the folders /0/ and /1/ and adapt the absolute paths in the database accordingly (using something like Davis Coveney's search-and-replace script).

Given what I want to accomplish and what environment the site is running on, my question is: Is BackupBuddy the right tool for me? The features look very attractive and at the WordPress Developers forum on Linked there is high praise. However, in the requirements I read some serious warnings about using BackupBuddy on IIS and my server provider has some hard limitations, like a max_executioon_time of 90 sec.

Or do you think it would be better to use something else (or do everything manually: copy the files; export, import and update the database)?

I tried to find a trial version, but do not think that is available, right?

Best regards,
Henk Barreveld

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi Henk

Thanks for your enquiry concerning BackupBuddy.

You are correct that we do not officially support IIS servers - which is not to say there are not Customers using BackupBuddy on Windows/IIS but just that we don't officially support it.

However, you have an added complication as you noted concerning Windows specific functionality and additional MS specific databases that certainly we would not say the BackupBuddy would be able to manage as these are not part of your actual WordPress installation but adjunct to it and so BackupBuddy would not be able to make a separate copy of that functionality integrated with a copy of your WordPress installation - I'm not sure what WordPress backup solution would be able to do that.

You _might_ be able to use BackupBuddy to migrate the WordPress installation part of your overall site but you would have to take care that it wasn't still linked to the other functionality (the .asp based functionality that you mention) in some way that would compromise it and/or you would have to separately duplicate that functionality (including MS database) and integrate that into the copied WordPress installation.

BackupBuddy does the task of updating urls and file paths when you migrate so you don't have to use any separate tools for that.

So we certainly couldn't say that BackupBuddy would work for your very specific scenario, regardless of the IIS aspect.

I hope this provides the information you need and please feel free to ask any additional question or for clarification as required, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for your super-fast reply!

I think there is a misunderstanding. I mentioned the MS Access database only because it is the reason why moving the site to a non-Windows-IIS is not an option. The MS Access database is not part of the migration to be done. It is not even in the website folder, but in a folder higher-up in the hierarchie: d:/www/bcstar/database, while the website to be migrated is in d:/www/bcstar/www/0. In the website root /0/ is an additional folder "uitslagen" next to the folders wp-admin, wp-content, etc., that contains files with extension .asp. Those files can be copied as-is and do not need to be changed when the website is migrated.

So there "only" remain the possible issues with IIS. In the meantime I have read more on your forum and it looks like it is a reason for concern. As I wrote, my major application for BackupBuddy would be to create a duplicate website, now and then, as a start for a new version. That does not happen often, so I think I will simply use a php script to copy all website files, export and import the database, use an update script for the urls in the database and, manually edit the wp-config.php file. All rather straightforward and not a problem - if you don't have to do it too often!

Best regards,
Henk Barreveld