Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Archiving With Backupbuddy?

Backup buddy archiving

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rob M_*

Guest_Rob M_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm considering getting BackupBuddy to back up and archive my website. Before doing so, I need to know whether this program can create archives of the site as it exists over time. I want to create at least one copy of the entire site per month. Attorney Ethics rules for Pennsylvania require preserving lawyer advertising for two years, so I need to save monthly archives dating back at least 24 months. Can BackupBuddy do this for me?

#2 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy!

Yes, BackupBuddy can do this for you. There are several options on how/where to store them as well. I've linked to some information in our codex below.

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy:_Features

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#3 Guest_Rob M_*

Guest_Rob M_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thank you for the quick response.

Prior to posting my question, I looked at the resources you pointed me to.  While some of the different features suggested that BB could do the job, there isn't anything on-point that confirms it.  At least not what I saw.

For instance, you mentioned there are several options on how/where to store archives.  If you are referring to the Dropbox or download options, that really doesn't answer the archiving question for me.  Sure, it may be possible to save a backup to a local computer, but if you schedule a backup, will the scheduled backup just overwrite the prior files?  If so, that's not really an archive.  On the other hand, if you can set it up so it builds a date into the filenames or it saves in different folders, this would be helpful.  I didn't see anything in the online descriptions that confirmed or refuted this ability.

Please clarify whether BB can be used to create archives, or whether it can only be done through work-arounds.

Thanks,

Rob

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,425 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hi Rob

Each created backup is distinct from any other and no backup overwrites another (each is an individual zip archive file whose name contains encoded forms of the site url, the date, optionally the time, the type (database only or full - that also of course includes a database dump) and a unique backup name suffix.

You can keep backups on the site if you want to but we do not recommend that but instead recommend that you send them to an offsite destination after creation and delete the local copy on the site.

If you take a manual backup you can subsequently manually send it to an offsite destination and then manually delete it from the local archive. For the manually initiated backup there is also the option to have it automatically sent to an offsite destination and then optionally deleted locally (or again you can subsequently manually delete it).

For a scheduled backup you can also select to have the backup sent to an offsite destination and then deleted locally - in fact you can have it sent to multiple offsite destinations for redundancy and accessibility (to you) and, for example, if you chose to send it to Dropbox as one of your destinations then if your dropbox was synced to your desktop computer then you could have the backup appear on your desktop computer and then it would also subsequently be included in your desktop computer backups.

For the type of application you are mentioning it sounds like Amazon S3 would be a good choice for you for a destination because that has many options for things like versioning (which you can use to prevent any backup being inadvertently deleted) and also you can move to longer term storage automatically based on rules you define in your Amazon S3 dashboard which is probably something that might be useful for you given your data retention requirements - the versioning and longer term storage is probably ideal for you since it's very hard to accidentally lose those files.

You can define multiple destinations of the same "type", for example, multiple S3 destinations so that you can associate them with different "folders" under S3 and perhaps have separate destinations for database only backups which you might take daily and complete backups which you might take weekly - this makes them easier to keep track of and find anything should you need it.

You can copy a backup file back to your site and recover a file or files from it, for example, should you find that you have inadvertently deleted some set of images you don't have to do a complete site restore but just grab a backup with the images in it and from within BackupBuddy you can restore those images.

Those are just a few of the things that you can do.

Please let us know whether or not this provides the information you require or whether you have any additional question or clarification in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#5 Guest_Rob M_*

Guest_Rob M_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

That sounds awesome.  Thank you.

#6 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,425 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hi Rob

No problem.

We'd be happy to see you using BackupBuddy but of course the important thing is taking backups however you choose to do it so if there is another solution out there that is currently a better fit for your requirements then that's all good too :-)

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."