studio57designs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hello,

This is a builder site using WP 3.0 and custom menus. Still more to do but this site is a sample site for sales purposes (so the lorum ipsum is just placeholders).

I like Builder alot but it seems there is always something my assistant can come up with that I can't figure out how to implement - such as Search Bar in the nav area, but I built this site in an afternoon.

This site content was duplicated from an older version of WP using BackupBuddy, updating the plugins and then updating WP to 3.0

OK, OK - here it is: http://www.dynamicspartnersite.com/blue/

I'd love any comments including any issue you might see with your browser.

Thank you,

Louise Desmarteau
Studio 57 Designs

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Nice Louise,

I think I told you I would get back on the searchbar in the nav (but I wanted to wait till WordPress 3 was final), so here it is:

- Rather than using the navigation module, add an HTML module where you want the navigation to appear

- add the following content (assuming your menu is called "menu1", change of course if needed):

<?php wp_nav_menu( array( 'menu' => 'menu1', 'menu_class' => 'builder-module-navigation') ); ?>

<?php get_search_form(); ?>

- no sidebars, enable PHP,

- save the layout

- add the following code to your stylesheet

#nav_container {
 height: 34px;
 display: block;
 width: 100%;
 background: #FFFFFF url('images/nav_bg.png') repeat top left;
}

.search_in_nav {
 float: right;
 display: block;
 width: 250px;
 height: 24px;
 padding: 0px 5px;
 margin: 0px;
}

Note: play around a bit with the margins and paddings, heights and widths,

and you're good to go,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 studio57designs

studio57designs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Ronald,

Excellent! I'll give it a go. I appreciate the effort! Builder does make it easier to create WP sites and I've learned a few tricks for the functions.php.

I'll let you know how that goes. I have a site to add the search to now.

Thanks AGAIN!

Louise Desmarteau
Studio 57 Designs

#4 Ruth

Ruth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Webdesign, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Ronald! Louise! (Hi, Louise from Wichita)

I read this, did a version of it, and it worked!!!

I wanted a quiet little footer that has a different look from the other Anchor navs that I am using; didn't want the white js slider under nav entries and wanted different styling. So I made a menu using the WP menu system, called it footermenu, then put Ronald's code in an html module (my first time using an html module in WP). I deleted the search div code, since I am not interested in that right now.

I added the styling to my stylesheet.

Now I'm going to play with the styling to get the look I want.

Does this mean I have graduated to PHP? Or at least "PHP enabled"?

Thanks! This is scary easy.

Ruth

#5 Guest_Louise_*

Guest_Louise_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Way to go Ruth!

Louise

#6 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 30,362 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Ruth said:

This is scary easy.

It has to be, otherwise I wouldn't manage either Posted Image

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#7 Carl

Carl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hi Ronald,

Could you do me a favor? I don't like the looks of the WP default searchbox, so I often use a plugin (Live search Popup which can be found here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/live-search-popup/)

I'va managend to get it in the searchbox, using your method abovem but it 'breaks' the box. I've been playing around with it but I ran out of ideas.

Do you have any?

Thanks,

Carl

url: http://www.wiem314.info/coach-marino-crusaders-winnen-worldbowl-2019/

#8 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts
  • LocationBangalore, India

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

@Carl: Add the following at the end of your theme's style.css:

#searchform img {
margin-top: 0;
}

#9 Carl

Carl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

Thanks!

#10 alexnavas

alexnavas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Sync
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

@ carl, can you share what you entered in the HTML module to get the new search style working? I did the first version at http://www.maximizedprofits.com but would prefer to have a more styled view with the plugin that you're using.

Thanks.

#11 Carl

Carl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Alex, sure, no problem:

<?php wp_nav_menu( array( 'menu' => 'cats', 'menu_class' => 'builder-module-navigation') ); ?>

<?php livesearchpopup_searchbox() ?>

'cats' is the navigationmodule.
The searchbox isnt looking 100%. I need to play around with the css now that Shridar helped repairing the image.

Good luck.

C.

#12 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 30,362 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:12 AM

More on adding search to the nav bar .

Please note that this is the public theme showcase forum, and not intended for support. Before this thread attracts new posters, please post a new topic in the Builder support forum,

thanks,
Ronald

#13 thirry

thirry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

I have a question. I am following this topic after finding it in the codex, but where it says select no sidebars and enable php, where do I do that? I do not see that on the widget bar option or the text/html box...

Thirry

#14 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 30,362 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRonald, on 31 August 2010 - 05:12 AM, said:

Please note that this is the public theme showcase forum, and not intended for support. Before this thread attracts new posters, please post a new topic in the Builder support forum,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users