information

Where The Backups Are During Transfer

backups transfer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kassandra_*

Guest_Kassandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I would like to purchase Backup Buddy for one of my clients, however I would like to know if the backup is ever stored/transferred on a third party server.

My client legally requires that all their data remains in our country. Thus, I would like to know if at any point in the backup transfer process, is the data ever relayed/stored at a third party server? Or is it a direct transfer from my website's server to my designated backup location?

Thank you for your time,
Kassandra

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hi Kassandra

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

When establishing network connections for transfer to offsite destinations BackupBuddy will use the appropriate server address as defined by the particular service being used (or in the case of ftp whatever ftp server address you supply).

BackupBuddy has no particular control over how a service provider chooses to provide their service or over any particular routing that any network connection may encounter based on the behaviours of intermediate networking nodes and equipment. The actual establishment of any network connection is the responsibility of the host server upon which you are running your WordPress site.

If you are particularly concerned about how a service provider that you would like to use (such as Amazon or Dropbox) provides their service (in terms of how they route data to their servers and whether it goes via any intermediate servers, etc.) then it would be best for you to confirm this with the particular service provider as we cannot make any particular guarantee in this respect and neither could any other utility that provides transfer to similar services since they too have no control over how the service provider provides the service or how data is routed from your server to the service provider.

You might also engage your host and ask them to assist you in determining how data is routed from their servers to the endpoint(s) related to any particular storage service that you are intending to use. All such service providers publish their endpoints which you can use for this purpose.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Kassandra_*

Guest_Kassandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the reply Jermy! We already checked with our web host regarding how they route their data so we will most likely purchase Backup Buddy in the near future.