Existing Membership Site

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Tuscanytrace_*

Guest_Tuscanytrace_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

I have an existing membership site that's been around over 4 years, and over the last 2 years the plugin I was using for subscriptions and membership protection has slowly gone downhill. Right now it protects things but the subscription side doesn't work at all, so I need a new plugin for that. I've settled on either Exchange with the subscription option or Memberpress (I need teaser content).

Right now, as I said, my old plugin protects all the content it's supposed to, except for the teaser content (there are short codes that allow for partial page/post protection). I do not want four years of my work released into the wild even for a second.

How would Exchange work to protect it? The shortcodes are [private] and [/private]. I'm thinking I would have to install exchange and the subscription addon, configure them, and then take down the old plugin. Would there be a problem doing it this way? I know the teaser content feature is coming. I have probably over 200 old posts with the shortcode in it and I really don't want to have to go through and manually change all of them.

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,524 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi Tuscanytrace,

To protect content in Exchange, you'd use the Membership Add-on.  You can watch this quick tutorial video to see how you restrict content to a membership group:  http://ithemes.com/tutorials/exchange-add-on-memberships/  While you wouldn't have to change anything in your posts to get this to work, you would need to go in and remove the previous shortcodes as they will show in the post on the frontend if there isn't a plugin using that particular shortcode.

At this time, if content is protected in Exchange, it does not show an excerpt, just a custom created message telling your customer the content is only available with memberships.  We are currently working on adding this feature, but I don't have an exact date for when this would be available.

The way I would recommend integrating Exchange would be to backup my site and then run it on my localhost.  That way, if anything does go wrong, it doesn't happen on your live site.  There's always a chance that there might be a conflict with another plugin, etc.  So this is the safest way to go about making major changes to your site.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users