Transaction Fails, 404, Fye!

404 it-exchange-transaction-metho paypal sandbox

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_J Oscar Bittinger_*

Guest_J Oscar Bittinger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi iThemers

New user to WordPress (former Joomla user), geekus-intermedius, designer-developer & musician. I know some stuff, but not enough to want to write an entire app - THANKS for Exchange!...

Having trouble getting a completed transaction. Need is immediate, of course. Happy to be found an eejit if it allows me to complete the sale...

Using Paypal Sandbox - transaction processes as expected, then fails on the return, displaying a 404 page and the message:
"http://www.joscarbittinger.com/transaction/?it-exchange-transaction-method=paypal-standard-secure"

Have run though the disapble plugins, no joy.

On Dreamhost, using Curellean RocketTheme with the Gantry Framework. WP 3.8.

Thanks for your help,
J Oscar

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,370 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi J Oscar,

I'm currently speaking to the developer in regards to the issue your having with PayPal Sandbox.  However, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that Sandbox mode is for testing only.  So if you're ready to start running real transactions, you'll actually need to turn off Sandbox mode.  In testing, I've run across a similar issue using Sandbox mode, but have no issues running PayPal Standard Secure when I turn off Sandbox.

Go ahead and try it with Sandbox disabled if you can.  You'd need two separate PayPal accounts to do this.  

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_J Oscar Bittinger_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Didn't know you COULD have two PayPal acounts.
Kind of like paying yourself and giving paypal a cut.... :smile:

Can you use a Sandbox buyer account and a real PP account?

In the end it sounds like your saying - trust that it works in the wild, yes? :unsure:

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hey J Oscar,

I do have two PayPal accounts.  I have one I don't have attached to a bank account or a credit card or anything and just use an email address that I don't use for much else.  I then set that one up in Exchange as the account that'll receive the payment.  Then I "purchase" one of my products using my regular PayPal account.  Once I've tested and made sure everything has worked properly, I just refund myself the money (or just leave it as I normally run $0.01 sent transactions for testing :)).  

As for whether or not you can use a Sandbox account and a real PayPal account - I don't believe so, but that'd be a PayPal question, not an issue in Exchange.  This is one of the many reasons we recommend Stripe over PayPal if you can use it.  They make testing so simple.  Just copy your test API keys and add it into Exchange, then use a test credit card number.  I know Stripe is not available in every country and many customers are familiar with and comfortable with PayPal, so I understand if that's your preferred payment gateway.  Though, if you haven't given Stripe a try yet and it's available in your country, you might look into it and test it out.  I'd certainly recommend giving it a try.

As for PayPal working in the "wild," it should without issue.  However, we always recommend you test as you best you can prior to going live.  It'd always be better to find the problems yourself rather than a customer.  And I'm still talking with the developer about the issue with the Sandbox.  He can't replicate the problem, though I can.  So we're going to do some further testing and see if we can narrow down the problem.  I'll let you know as soon as I have any answer for you.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#5 Guest_J Oscar Bittinger_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for your support and suggestions on how to use the two PayPal accounts.

Unfortunately I have two very pressing events (both this week) that demand that I make it work with PayPal. I will check into Stripe as soon as I can after this weekend.

Please thank your developer for looking into the issue as well. I suspect that it maybe (hopefully is NOT) related to the response speed that the PayPal "listener" is expecting in reply from the IPN. That may be
related to noticing my site "running slower" - in the past few months - than I used to experience it.

I suspect that may be realted to my host, or perhaps the theme/framwork and hoping its NOT related to using Wordpress itself (the site was orginally in Joomla...)

I'm going to ask someone who intended to buyt - try the purchase process tonight and let me know the scoop.

THANKS AGAIN - More when I know it...

#6 J Oscar Bittinger

J Oscar Bittinger

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Sorry to say, still doesn't work.

I setup a new Paypal standard account

Disabled "PayPal Standard - Secure"
Setup "PayPal Standard - Basic"

Created a product that cost  $0.01

Paid with my active Paypal account (using $0.01 from my BANK - no money in long-standing Paypal account - wonder what cost or confusion THAT will engender...)

This is what I'm getting:

Help please.

#7 J Oscar Bittinger

J Oscar Bittinger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

Late (late) last night I pasted a screen shot of the 404 I got when I tested.  This morning it wasn't in the posting (likely should have attached it, oh well - I'm at office now).

I did notice this notification  in the SETTINGS page - it has the URL of the PREPRODUCTION site wp3.joscarbittinger.com - could this be something that trips up some code?
Stylesheet Settings Custom Styles If they exist, the following files will be loaded in order after core Exchange stylesheets:
—  /home/octoday/wp3.joscarbittinger.com/wp-content/themes/rt_cerulean_wp/exchange/style.css

It appears that URL got "encoded" somewhere - if you know where that might be I could prolly hack it..

If this URL is "stuck" in a setting I wonder if the transaction return is ALSO failing due to something similar.

(I will see if I can get the wp3. sub-domain to "shadow" the www. version - maybe it will right itself... even though it really needs to be fixed.)

#8 J Oscar Bittinger

J Oscar Bittinger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

FYI: redirect setup (sub domain "wp3" goes to "www" now) but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Screenshot attached....

Other ideas? Help!

Attached Thumbnails

• StillGetting404_12-18-2013_12-24pm.png

#9 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi J Oscar,

How did you move from your production site to the live site?  For instance, did you use BackupBuddy to migrate?  If so, there is a tool in BackupBuddy that will allow you to replace URLs.  You can read a little more about that in the codex (http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy_Server_Information:_Advanced:_Database_Mass_Text_Replacement) or get help in the BackupBuddy forum.  

Can you also test to see if you have a plugin conflict?  For instance, if you have a redirect plugin, it could cause an issue like this.  So you'd deactivate all of your plugins except for Exchange and then see if it works correctly.  If it does, reactivate your other plugins one at a time, testing Exchange each time to see which plugin is creating the conflict.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Elise

#10 J Oscar Bittinger

J Oscar Bittinger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

I didn't actually "move" the site - it was hosted as a subdomain to joscarbittinger.com (wp3.) - which was in it's own separate physical directory.

Ater sorting out which theme I wanted to use - and installing Exchange -  I "re-pointed" the "www" URL at the new location.

The "wp3" sub-domain was then idled. Today I set the sub to redirect to the "www" - shadowing it rather than being a "mirror". I thought it might "catch" any "stray" message from PayPal.

In a head slap moment I relized, the path I was worried about is the physical path. My host creates directories automatically based on the URL (if you type "wp3.domain.tld" then the physical directory is automatically created that way. A dead end detective am I....

I did the conflict check previously - before adding Backup and Email Buddies + Boombox - and I didn't notice any difference. (I was checking using the PP Sandbox).

I may be able to do it again, but I have very little time to spend now - the gig (a holiday show I'm trying to sell tickets (+ & MP3) for) is Sunday. I figured a ticket in this case is LIKE a downloadable product (+ we can limit them to 60 seats).

IF YOU OR YOUR DEVELOPER NEED ACCESS let me know, I really would like this to get fixed today or early tomorrow.  Thanks!

#11 J Oscar Bittinger

J Oscar Bittinger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Last technical bits:

When I did run the transaction for real it seem to process completely via PayPal. It gave all the correct message AND for the first time I got email FROM PayPal AND Exchange

Sidney G (store manager)     Dec 18, 2013           2.7 k     Receipt for Purchase: #000598
Sidney G     Dec 18, 2013           2.2 k     You made a sale! Yabba Dabba Doo! #000598
service@paypal.com     Dec 18, 2013           17 k     Receipt for Your Payment to Jay Bittinger

The message to the purchaser went like this:

Subject:      Receipt for Purchase: #000598
Date:      Wed, December 18, 2013 2:12 am
To:      job@joscarbittinger.com

Hello J Oscar,

Thank you for your order. Your order's details are below.
Order: #000598 Product Quantity Total Price Total $0.01 Snow Day (TEST) 1 $0.01

Available Downloads

The status for this transaction does not grant access to downloadable files. Once the transaction is updated to an approved status, you will receive a follow-up email with your download links.
Available Downloads

The status for this transaction does not grant access to downloadable files. Once the transaction is updated to an approved status, you will receive a follow-up email with your download links.
.....................................................................................................

(The above red is my emphasis.)

Likely there were two messages as there were two products.

The download email never arrived - something about the transaction didn't work.

I'd never gotten that far via the PP Sandbox (though it does make it all the way though collecting my fake money and offering a link back to the store.

BOTH TYPES OF TRANSACTIONS (real and sandbox) generated a 404.

When a 404 is generated it looks like below:
http://www.joscarbittinger.com/transaction/?it-exchange-transaction-method=paypal-standard-secure

HERE'S MY QUESTION/OBSERVATION....

To get anything to appear in my site I have to setup WP pages with shortcodes (instead of using the Exhange default pages).

The pages end up with names like "http://www.joscarbittinger.com/store/"

If that's they way they are structured - and I didn't create a page using the word "transaction" - what generates the above message?

Thanks again for any insight

#12 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hey J Oscar,

Can you send me admin login information for your site?  You can email it to me at elise@ithemes.com or PM it to me here on the forum.  Just be sure to include a link to this post so I know what the message is in regards to.

If you can send me that information, I'll take a look!

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: in progress, 404, it-exchange-transaction-metho, paypal, sandbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users