Backupbuddy Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Peter_*

Guest_Peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing BackupBuddy but just want to know if it will be able to solve my problems. Please bear with me as I am not from a technical background.

I have a website that is currently live and has regular users. I plan to completely upgrade the website including structure, theme etc. I need to pull the website down and work on it locally with XAMPP, and then I would like to redeploy it to a subdomain: dev.website.com.

Once I am satisfied with the new website running at dev.website.com I would then like to deploy it live to the main site, website.com.

I have been able to pull down the site to run locally on my computer and work on it there, but I am having difficulty when I re-upload the site to the subdomain (dev.website.com). I tried the plugin duplicator to do this, but it has failed and your product looks like a robust solution, and I need something like this in the future for regular, secure backups.

I have had to manually transfer the local version of my site using FTP and manually change the URLs in the database, but for some reason it still doesn't quite work on the subdomain and I get occasional error messages which I can't workout as it should be identical to my local copy and I don't get the errors there. If it helps, the error message is:

"Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/az/public_html/dev/wp-content/themes/_Light-Station/functions.php:981) in /home4/az/public_html/dev/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 896"

I don't know why this is and I was hoping that backupbuddy would be able to solve this problem and make the process of upgrading the website easier.

I am currently on a shared hosting plan with hostgator.

Thanks,

Peter

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hi Peter

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

Yes, certainly as well as providing a backup/restore solution BackupBuddy will also enable you to migrate a site back and forth between development and production servers and is used in this manner by many Customers with HostGator and many other hosts.

The particular warning that you are getting though is not specifically due to the migration as such and most likely you would get that issue however you did the migration. The warning indicates that there is some spurious character been introduced into your theme functions.php file that when encountered by the server causes it to immediately start sending output to the browser, this in turn means that in subsequent code, when that code wants to add/change an http header _before_ these are sent to the browser it cannot be done because the headers have already been sent due to the premature output. The importance of this issue depends on what the header was that the later code was trying to add/change - it may be that you see no visible issue but some other hidden functionality will not work, or it may be something inconsequential altogether.

If you check in your functions.php file at the line indicated you should find the culprit there or thereabouts.

The reason you may see this in some server setups and not in others is usually related to the way that different server setups handle output and buffering - some may buffer output so that even if it has ostensibly been "sent" it actually hasn't been really sent and so it can be possible for a header update to happen before it is really sent. That would be my best guess anyway based on similar issues in the past :-)

Please let us know if you have any further questions about BackupBuddy, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Peter_*

Guest_Peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the prompt reply and for the explanation of what was going wrong with my functions.php file.

I have I think solved the problem by replacing the problem file on the dev server with the one currently used on my live site and it seems to be working. I compared the two files and it seemed the only difference was different line spacing. I just can't work out why that would be as I never changed anything, I just downloaded it from the live site and reuploaded to the subdomain.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question and it looks like your product fits my needs well so I shall be purchasing it in the near future.

May I just ask what the best way to go about deploying my newly created website from the dev sub domain to the root of the main site that is currently active with the 'old' site on it?

Would I need to completely erase the old site from the root location and then transfer using backupbuddy or is there a more sophisticated way of overwriting the old site with the new site with less downtime?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I just have no idea about how people go about updating an old site!

Thanks again