Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Can Backup Buddy Restore To A Previous Wp Version?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Roger Due_*

Guest_Roger Due_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

(1) Does Backup Buddy save the entire WordPress installation so that it can be restored later. Let me be more specific. Let's say my last full backup was with WP 3.x and now I upgrade to a newer version of WP, but now something is broken. Can I use Backup Buddy to restore everything to the previous version of WP and all content?

(2) If I don't have access to cPanel, or equivalent, on a new site, but I already have a copy of WP installed, can I do a full restore with Backup Buddy from a different site? Am I going to have problems migrating the other site to this new location under these conditions? I want to make sure that I can clone a WP site to a new location where I only have access to the WP login and where that version of WP might be different than what was used on the site that I need to transfer to this new location.

#2 jtf1117

jtf1117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

1) I don't think so. BackupBuddy seems to download and install the latest version of WP during it's routine. I know this since I always delete the useless "hello dolly" plugin but after a BuB restore, it is back.

2) You may be able to get by without cPanel access, but remember, a restore requires access to your database. If you have a DB created (you do, because you already have WP installed) and you know the name, username, and pw, in theory you don't really need cPanel access. However, I don't know if the routine deletes/replaces your existing WP DB or not.

3) If I were you, I would still wait for an expert to reply, instead of relying on my answers :wink: .  I bet these questions have been asked already though. Try a search.
Jeff Fila
Albany Digital Services, LLC - Web Development / Technical Training / Technical Writing
Real Estate Digital Services - Real Estate Web Development / Virtual Tours / Single Property Websites / Marketing / Graphics
Call/Text 518-302-1117

#3 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi Roger

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes, a Complete backup includes all the site files/folders visible and accessible to BackupBuddy except for some specific automatic exclusions and any file/folder exclusions you add yourself. So that does include the WordPress core files as well as your theme(s), plugins and media uploads, etc. as well as of course a dump of the database associated with the site.

When you restore/migrate using that backup the restored/migrated site will this be exactly the same as the site was when the backup was taken (except of course for a migration the links will be changed to use the new site domain, etc.) and of course that means the WordPress version will be exactly as it was at that time.

The detail that Jeff mentions is related to some experimental MultiSite backup/restore functionality and does not apply in the case of simple standalone sites which I understand to be what you are enquiring about.

2) To migrate a site you don't have to have control panel access but having access to some means of file handling and upload/download such as FTP would make things a whole lot easier. When you do a migration or a restore you do not want  there to be any existing WordPress site files/folders to be present so you need some way of removing those (which you can do using FTP or command line SSH access for example). Also it's helpful to have access to database management tools but again these could be command line tools accessed through SSH access.

BackupBuddy does provide means to transfer files from A to B but you still need FTP access details and some way to manage files at the new server. If your hosting isn't providing these kind of capabilities then you should enquire of your host support what means they suggest for managing files and databases.

You can reuse an existing database on your new hosting and optionally the migration tool can drop (delete) conflicting or all tables from the database before the import.

Trying to migrate a site over the top of an existing site is not something we would recommend and if the _only_ access you have to  where you want to migrate a site to is a login to an existing site in that location then although you may be able to work around various issues involved in doing that it's not something that BackupBuddy and the associated migration tool is intended to support and not something that we would recommend. There may be tools/services out there that would say they enable you to do this _but_ you should ensure that they tell you what the problems and risks are and that you are prepared for when things don't work as you are told they should - and if anyone told me there were no problems/risks then I wouldn't believe them and would simply walk away :-)

Please let us know if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."