Backup Buddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Mel_*

Guest_Mel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

I am looking for a backup solution for a client of mine. I have used several plugins in the past for backups, cloning and restoring sites, however, this particular client has a huge site with lots of old files in the root domain. It is large enough that hostgator will not back it up in their auto weekly backup.
I think they told me there was around 80 or 85Gb of info that was trying to be copied.
Only a small part of that is within the wordpress install, however as it is all in the root domain, all the other plugin are failing miserably to back up this site.
So is there a size restriction with BUB?
I need to be able to do regular backups with her site and cannot do it at this point.
I tried to do a cpanel full site backup and that even failed... whaaa!
Anyway, looking for a solution and hoping you are it!
Thanks
Mel

The site is connectwithyoursoul.com   not really a big site at all, just tons of old debris from old projects that have not been gone though in a long while.

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hi Mel

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

BackupBuddy provides for the exclusion of files and folders that are unrelated to your WordPress installation. This is something that many people need since they may have many such files and folders that also happen to be in the installation directory of their site and/or it is common to have subdomains and add-on domains installed in folders under the "main" site installation directory which need to be excluded from the main site backup.

If you were to use BackupBuddy then we would advise that you start with a Database Only backup so you have something in the bag and then by using the BackupBuddy capability to show you where your Complete backup content is coming from you can identify what folders unrelated to your WordPress site you need to exclude from the backup. It is usually best to start with less content than you might ultimately want so as to get things up and running and then add in whatever additional content you require.

Whilst BackupBuddy itself imposes no particular limitations there will always be constraints based on the resources that the hosting is prepared to provide, be that in terms of software capabilities or processor/time resources. Additionally, even if you could create an 80GB "backup" (which theoretically you could with BackupBuddy provided the hosting provided the required resources) actually managing such a backup and doing anything with it would be totally impractical to all intents and purposes.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."