Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Are Only Certain Themes 'compatible' With Exchange?

exchange

6 replies to this topic

#1 skinny1

skinny1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, BackupBuddy, Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

When I look at my product downloads on my member page and select the Exchange tab, it lists five themes.
Why?
Bonnie, aka Mrs B
http://TradeFatForLife.com

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,849 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi Bonnie,

You do not have to use specific themes with Exchange, or even iThemes themes.  The themes you see under the Exchange tab have built in Exchange integration, so styling specific to Exchange.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 skinny1

skinny1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

THANKS Elise!!   I've been looking at them and kind of came to that conclusion.  Suggestion:  It would be really nice if that could be explained.... say on the demo home page..  I.e., this theme is styled to integrate with exchange in the following ways:

Would be most helpful rather than having to wade thru.   The same would be good for all the themes re: specific ways in which they are unique other than just color and fonts.... Just a thought.

Thank you so very very much.
B
Bonnie, aka Mrs B

#4 skinny1

skinny1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

My member Downloads page shows the following themes listed under the Exchange Tab:   Attent, Depot, Everett, Hudson, and Market.  

The ithemes home page page also lists  Jackson, Cohen, Paige, Base, Reddinger, and Benthos under the Exchange Button. Sorry to be a pain in the neck about it, but ?????

When you say they have 'built in Exchange Integration'  what does that really mean?  In reading http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Theming_Exchange_-_Getting_Started  I'm feeling very insecure -- LOL!!

I'm currently using Digital Access Pass for selling a membership to my site ---   one product with payment via paypal --and it works fine.   Now that ithemes is jumping into memership and ecommerce (and I am looking for a shopping cart so I can add more products), I'd like to make the move, but not sure I have skills.

These kinds of comments scare me:

In order to customize the content of single product pages, we recommend creating a file named product.php, adding it to the exchange directory (exchange/product.php) in your theme, then add the following code:
and
Again, you may need to add different code depending on your theme.

Makes me beieve the plugins will require more skill than I am able to give.  That's OK if that's the way it is... I just would like to have some kind of idea before I leap into another intense learning curve situation.  I guess my questions are, "Can I use this pretty much 'out of the box,' or not?"     Do you have any 'Training for Dummies?'

Thanks SO MUCH for your help, Elise.
Bonnie
Bonnie, aka Mrs B

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

Hi Bonnie,

All of those themes have Exchange integration, which just means that they have built in styling specific to Exchange.  

The page you linked to is really for theming Exchange, so creating a custom theme for Exchange or for making changes to Exchange.  So if, for instance, you're trying to change styling, instead of changing the actual files in Exchange which would be overwritten with an update, you'd create a directory/folder in your theme called "exchange."  Then you'd upload your changes in a file named style.css.  And the quote you included, you would only need to do this if you wanted to change what appears on your product pages by default.  

You do not, however, have to do any of this to use Exchange.  You can just use Exchange straight out of the box.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#6 skinny1

skinny1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

OK.  I get it now.   So ... Sorry, I'm just trying to understand ...  I assume it is like the themes that are 'styled' for church block, and have different types of displays, like for example, City Church and Gallery Church, when paired with the Church Block plugin.  The Block gives me the ability to provide a page showing all my staff, or to present sermons, but the styling determines how they are displayed.  Correct?
So if I look at the theme demos, I should see the different types of page stylings available, right?

When you get tired of me, just say so - I know this is beyond basic forum question and answer - I'm just trying to figure this out.  Thanks for your time.  
Bonnie
Bonnie, aka Mrs B

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hey Bonnie,

That's correct.  The themes don't have any sort of extra Exchange functionality built in, they just have styling specific to Exchange.  So, just as an example, the buttons for Exchange will be styled to match the rest of the site.

And your questions are fine!  :)  Don't worry about it.

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exchange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users