Using Exchange But Not Charging For Memberships Yet

exchange

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'm looking for a membership plug in that eventually I can charge for.

Right now I want to set it up for my clients to be able to access the content for free, but restrict the content to non-clients on my website. I currently have a wordpress site that was custom designed.

Can I use it now without charging my clients for it?

In addition, I'm assuming that videos, photos and page content can all be protected via the plug in?

Thank you very much,
Sarah

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi Sarah,

With the Membership add-on, you can create a free membership products for your clients and restrict content so that only members can see it.  They would just need to sign up for it.  

You can restrict all content within a post and the contents of a page (but not the entire page, meaning widget areas, etc.).  You can also use the Membership Shortcode to restrict specific content within a post or page.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thank you Elise, I guess what I don't understand is if I have a video in a post that is protected, can a client share that video with someone who isn't a client?

Thanks again!
Sarah

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi Sarah,

The post that your video is on would be protected and would require the customer logging in to view the post.  If you have the video posted publicly somewhere, though, like YouTube and they have access to the URL, there isn't a way for Exchange to stop them from sharing the URL if it's visible to them.  

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#5 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification Elise, I'm trying to figure all this out :-) Do you recommend a way to post video that doesn't make the url available?

Also, I've cruised around your videos, but wanted to be sure that once you sign up that there are plenty of videos to teach how to set things up... Thanks again, I really like the look and feel of your product.

Sarah

#6 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hi Sarah,

That kind of depends.  For instance, if you use Video Showcase or VidEmbed, but use a YouTube video, it uses the YouTube video player, which has a link back to watch the video on YouTube.  So they could get the URL that way.  But you could use something like VidEmbed and a link from Amazon S3 or a video directly from your Media Library.  Then, the person would have to login to see the post/page and they wouldn't be able to see the URL.  

You'll find all the Exchange tutorial videos here:  http://ithemes.com/tutorial/category/ithemes-exchange/  You can also check out our codex for more information:  http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Exchange  And, of course, you know where our forums are so you can ask any questions you have that aren't covered in the videos or in the codex!  :)  

Thanks,

Elise

#7 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Thank you Elise!
Ok, so to restrict content, that requires the $97 membership add on, is that an annual fee or one-time? Is that the part that will allow members to "register"? I installed the exchange plug in already to my wordpress site, but think this is what I need next, right?

Thanks for the video tips, it's a bit above my understanding, but what I can't seem to figure out is how to upload a video larger than 2MB in my wordpress site... how do I work around that and actually upload a video file?

Appreciate your help!
Sarah

#8 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hi Sarah,

Yes, to restrict content, you would need the Membership add-on.  For users just to register for your site, you do not need the Membership add-on.  They can either go to your Exchange registration page (if you make that available to them) or they can register when they are purchasing a product.  But to have access to restricted content, they would need to purchase the membership product that allows access to it.  

With the purchase of the Membership add-on, you are given updates to the plugin and access to support for one year from the date of purchase.  After that, you can continue to use the Membership add-on, you will just no longer have access to plugin updates or support.  And, after the year, your licenses will expire and you will not be able to create new licenses.  However, licenses are just used for your automatic updates and will not affect plugin functionality.  

As for uploading larger files to WordPress, that's a WordPress limitation not Exchange (I'm sure you're aware of that, just want to make sure it's clear to other readers, too :)).  You can try increasing your max_upload_filesize (you may need to ask your host for help with this) or use a plugin like Add From Server (note:  Add From Server is not an iThemes plugin, it's just one I have personally used successfully in the past).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Elise