Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Please Note:

The iThemes offices will be closed Thursday Nov. 27 and Friday Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.

Support will be limited, as we allow our support staff to spend some well deserved time off with their families. The iThemes Support team wishes you a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Exchange Product Categories View Appears To Break Other Loops On The Page

Exhange product addons

7 replies to this topic

#1 iguanawebco

iguanawebco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

If I'm on a Product Category archive view, sidebar widgets that do loopy things go wonky in subtly different ways. I have a fresh install to demonstrate on: http://exchange.cbmws.com

This install has:

3 Post Categories, each category has a post

Exchange & Product Categories Addon, nothing else
- 3 Product Categories, each product category has 2 products

Raygun's Q & A plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/q-and-a/installation/
- 2 FAQ Categories, each category has 3 Q/As

Permalinks are fugly default.

Builder Air - Custom Theme, untouched.

Sidebar Widgets:
- Categories
- Product Categories (the Exchange widget)
- Custom Menu (Appearance > Menus, using just the product categories as menu items)
- FAQ Categories using that plugin's shortcode, twice
- Recent Posts
- Loopbuddy (querying 1 post from a category, default single-post layout)
- Loopbuddy (querying 1 post from a different category, default single-post layout)

Everything behaves as expected until you click a Product Category link. Then,
- the Custom Menu breaks
- the FAQ widget breaks
- one of the Loopbuddy loops doesn't display

Click through to the single view of the product, and all the loops in the sidebar work again.

Deactivating the FAQ plugin had no effect (just displayed the shortcode text). Same broken loops otherwise.

Behaves in the same way in Twenty Fourteen as in Builder Air (I was surprised Loopbuddy even seemed to work out of the box with Twenty Fourteen, without modifying the loop code).

My localhost project is misbehaving in slightly different ways, prompting me to build this trivialized example. But it still boils down to loops that get broken on product archives.

On a completely unrelated note, the "Start New Topic" button is the hardest thing for me to find on the whole iThemes site. Just sayin'.

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,876 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hi iguanawebco,

The styling of the permalinks in the sidebar aren't affected by Exchange.  That's how you see them on the Air Demo.  

I'm still looking into the other issues, I just didn't want you to think I'd missed your post or had forgotten about you.  :)

Thanks,

Elise

#3 iguanawebco

iguanawebco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Sorry, I was referring to the permalinks structure rather than the styling. Air is a lovely theme.

#4 iguanawebco

iguanawebco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

In case my original point was missed, the problem is this:

Exchange Product Categories appears to break widgets. Widgets that work on every other page are broken when viewing the product category archive view, that is, links that end in "?it_exchange_category=".

This affects built-in widgets, widgets created by 3rd-party plugins, and even the venerable LoopBuddy.

To demonstrate, roll out a clean WP install, install Exchange and the Product Categories add-on, and go make some products and assign them to some product categories. Make a couple menus/widgets that run a loop outside of the main content loop and place it in a sidebar.

Now go view a product category page that also has the sidebar. (Some) widgets that run loops are broken.

I fear my original ticket was read as a complaint about the appearance of the theme (not so). I'm discussing how Product Categories or possibly core Exchange has deleterious effects on built-in and extended functionality.

Or tell me I'm doing it wrong. I'm open to that too. But this shouldn't be too difficult to confirm or deny, and I'm happy to provide admin access if someone wants to take a closer look at the example site I posted that appears to demonstrate a gnarly bug in a product I very much would like to see become the #1 WP ecommerce plugin.

#5 iguanawebco

iguanawebco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Just popping in to say that I've applied a few updates in the last (silent) two weeks, and this bug still appears.

It would be great if someone could just check if installing fresh WordPress, Exchange, Exchange Product Add-ons, making 2 or 3 posts, adding some Product Categories (and a Product or two for each category), add a Product Categories widget, then click one of the links created by that Product Categories widget, and see if the default widgets are negatively affected on those product category pages.

In the link I provided at the top, you can see built-in widgets (Recent Posts) as well as 3rd-party plugin widgets (Raygun's Q&A for this example) getting broken on archive pages created by Product Categories.

It also happens in the most trivial case, twentyfourteen w/no plugins installed on brand-new WP 3.8.1.

And it happens whether or not you set up pretty permalinks.

#6 iguanawebco

iguanawebco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Was building out a testbed for a LoopBuddy support issue, and found that, lo and behold, Product Categories also just flat-out breaks Builder's Navigation module, as well as sidebar widgets.

http://bugs.iguanawebco.com/

That site is nothing more than Builder Air-Custom with just the Default layout, a couple dummy posts, and a couple dummy products/categories, and a few events created by Builder Block-Events. Every page should get the exact view, but on Product Category pages, the Navigation module gets butchered. Click back to the Sample page and the nav comes back.

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,876 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hi iguanawebco,

I can't replicate the issue you're having, whether on a fresh install of WordPress or a current site.  However, I have reported another bug involving categories and passed this one along to the developers too, so, hopefully we can knock out this issue at the same time.  Unfortunately, I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be available.  I'll post here as soon as it is.

Thanks,

Elise

#8 iguanawebco

iguanawebco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

Weird.

Not sure what I'm doing that would cause it. Here's a video of how I've reproduced it, in twentyfourteen and Builder Air (including the broken Navigation Module behavior):

https://copy.com/mDfMyHstCjlzMEfx

Maybe someone will find that helpful or spot something I'm introducing to explain the behavior.

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Exhange, product addons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users