Jump to content


Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.


Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.


Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

not an error

Backupbuddy License Problem

backupbuddy license

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hi,

I purchased a developer suit on November 1, 2012 for unlimited sites. I only use backupbuddy from all the plugins.

When I click on "Manage Licenses" and then click "Generate Key" I get this error message:

You have already generated all the keys you have available or your licenses have expired. Please obtain additional licenses or unlicense a site. ERROR L14513-JW

When I log into iThemes and click on Licensing I see no license there.

Could you please advise?

Thanks,
Barnabas

#2 Gerroald

Gerroald

    iThemes Support

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hello Barnabas,

Your licenses are valid for one year after you purchase the product. If you'd like to renew then you can contact sales@ithemes.com and you'll receive a 25% Customer Loyalty Discount.

It's worth noting that your licenses are for updates and support, they do not affect the functionality of your plugin. However, it is beyond our control if some other update such as WordPress affects the plugin.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#3 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

 Gerroald, on 27 January 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Hello Barnabas,

Your licenses are valid for one year after you purchase the product. If you'd like to renew then you can contact sales@ithemes.com and you'll receive a 25% Customer Loyalty Discount.

It's worth noting that your licenses are for updates and support, they do not affect the functionality of your plugin. However, it is beyond our control if some other update such as WordPress affects the plugin.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

1. You said "they do not affect the functionality of your plugin" - well it does effect the functionality if I can't attach the licence to the plugin, doesn't it? When I bought this I didn't realise I will not be able to use backupbuddy after one year. I didn't notice the yearly subscription either.

2. Couldn't you swap my purchase from the developer suite to only Backupbuddy? As far as I see if I bought the backupbuddy plugin I would be able to upgrade the plugin and use the licenses even after one year - right?
BackupBuddy (Unlimited sites)
  • - Membership length for Support and Updates: 1 year from time of purchase
  • - Automatic Updates: Unlimited
  • - Support (provided through our online forum): Unlimited
  • - 1GB of FREE backup storage using Stash
Thanks,
Barnabas

#4 Gerroald

Gerroald

    iThemes Support

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hello Barnabas,

The license does not affect the functionality of BackupBuddy. Not being able to license it only means you don't have access to updates or support. You can continue to use BackupBuddy even though it isn't licensed for as long as you'd like.

If you contact sales@ithemes.com they can help you renew to the correct package. The licenses are only valid for one year, after that you'll need to renew them if you'd like access to support and updates.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

#5 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

 Gerroald, on 27 January 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Hello Barnabas,

The license does not affect the functionality of BackupBuddy. Not being able to license it only means you don't have access to updates or support. You can continue to use BackupBuddy even though it isn't licensed for as long as you'd like.

If you contact sales@ithemes.com they can help you renew to the correct package. The licenses are only valid for one year, after that you'll need to renew them if you'd like access to support and updates.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald

Hi,

So let me ask what would happen if sales would switch my order from developer suit to backupbuddy unlimted. Would the new license also last just for 1 year?

Barnabas

#6 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

Hi Barnabas

If your Developer Suite Membership has expired then there is no current product membership that can be switched to another product.

As per the product details that you noted in your post above - membership length for support and updates is 1 year from time of purchase of the particular membership. Within that period you have access to unlimited updates (which includes major version updates such as from version X to version X+1 as well as minor updates) and unlimited support through the relevant support forum.

During that membership period you can have as many sites licenced concurrently as your membership allows - which for an "unlimited" membership means as many sites as you like. The licensing of a site allows the site to receive automatic updates through the standard WordPress automatic update process. At the end of your membership period all licences cease to be valid (whenever they were created during the membership period), you can no longer create new licences and you can no longer access support.

A plugin (BackupBuddy in this case) will continue to work "as-is" regardless of whether a licence is attached or not and you can still install BackupBuddy on new sites using whatever version(s) you downloaded from your Member Panel during your membership period. Alternatively you can simply copy the plugin from one site to a new site just as you can with any other plugin.

Of course, and the same applies to any plugin or theme from whatever source, we cannot guarantee forward compatibility with changes to WordPress and/or your site/server/hosting that may change the operational environment under which your version of BackupBuddy may be running. WordPress is constantly changing (at an accelerated pace these days as the developers are increasing the update frequency) and hosts are changing server environments in ways that cannot be predicted and these are some of the reasons why products are constantly under review and update and why many Customers choose to renew memberships to keep up to date with developments and get support for new challenges they face with changes to their existing hosting or if they move to or install upon new hosting.

Discounts are always available to renewing or returning Customers and you can get details from Sales, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."


#7 lytrotis

lytrotis

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:49 AM


I'm in a similar position with the ERROR L14513-JW. So if I understand this correctly, "Unlimited licenses" during the sales process should've read something more like "create unlimited licenses for 1 year". Correct?


#8 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

 lytrotis, on 04 February 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:


I'm in a similar position with the ERROR L14513-JW. So if I understand this correctly, "Unlimited licenses" during the sales process should've read something more like "create unlimited licenses for 1 year". Correct?

Absolutely true. I would like to receive a refund for this. I am not going to use the old version of the plugin and so it's pretty useless for me.

#9 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

Hi Barnabas

Maybe there is some confusion here - your original post suggested that your membership period (1 year from purchase) had expired based on your stated date of purchase and that you were enquiring about not being able to create new licences after the expiry of your membership. The information you yourself quoted in your second post indicates explicitly that support and updates are only available for the duration of the membership.

If you are saying that you have a current, active membership that includes BackupBuddy and you are unable to generate any new licences under _that specific_ membership then you should be addressing your question to the specific Licensing forum here: http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/175-licensing-issues/

The access credentials with which you are accessing the forum and posting to _this_ specific forum do not show that you have any current active membership for any iThemes product so either you are using the incorrect access credentials when trying to create licences (using some access credentials associated with an old expired membership) or there is some issue with the association between your access credentials (username/password) and the particular products for which you have an active membership.

If there is some membership issue I would suggest that you email support@ithemes.com with your membership details (username, products, etc.) and this can be investigated and resolved in one way or another. For example, if you have multiple logins related to different memberships these can usually be merged into one.

In any case, if you do have a current active membership you can still download the latest version of any plugin/theme included in your membership from your Member Panel, for plugin updating the license is only required for the ability to be able to update the plugin automatically through the standard WordPress plugin admin automatic update process, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."


#10 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

 Jeremy Trask, on 10 February 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

Hi Barnabas

Maybe there is some confusion here - your original post suggested that your membership period (1 year from purchase) had expired based on your stated date of purchase and that you were enquiring about not being able to create new licences after the expiry of your membership. The information you yourself quoted in your second post indicates explicitly that support and updates are only available for the duration of the membership.

If you are saying that you have a current, active membership that includes BackupBuddy and you are unable to generate any new licences under _that specific_ membership then you should be addressing your question to the specific Licensing forum here: http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/175-licensing-issues/

The access credentials with which you are accessing the forum and posting to _this_ specific forum do not show that you have any current active membership for any iThemes product so either you are using the incorrect access credentials when trying to create licences (using some access credentials associated with an old expired membership) or there is some issue with the association between your access credentials (username/password) and the particular products for which you have an active membership.

If there is some membership issue I would suggest that you email support@ithemes.com with your membership details (username, products, etc.) and this can be investigated and resolved in one way or another. For example, if you have multiple logins related to different memberships these can usually be merged into one.

In any case, if you do have a current active membership you can still download the latest version of any plugin/theme included in your membership from your Member Panel, for plugin updating the license is only required for the ability to be able to update the plugin automatically through the standard WordPress plugin admin automatic update process, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

There is no confusion. My license has expired. The problem is: when I bought the plugin I thought there is no limit to one year - just as "
lytrotis

"

#11 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi Barnabas

Thanks for the confirmation. As per the information that you yourself posted earlier:

Quote

"Membership length for Support and Updates: 1 year from time of purchase"
which clearly states that updates are only available for the period of your membership. This has always been (and documented as being) the case.

Licensing is irrelevant once your membership has expired because licensing a site simply makes it possible to update the plugin automatically though the WordPress plugin admin capabilities but once your membership period has expired then you are no longer entitled to updates (as per the membership detail). BackupBuddy will continue working as-is and you can continue to use whatever version you currently have at the expiry of your membership as well as install and use it in new sites if you require.

We are sorry if there was any confusion over this but this has always been documented and publicly available and the pre-sales forum is also available for any queries of a technical nature and sales will always answer any membership related queries.

There are discounts available for renewing/returning Customers and sales will be happy to advise you on this, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."


#12 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

 Jeremy Trask, on 10 February 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Hi Barnabas

Thanks for the confirmation. As per the information that you yourself posted earlier:

Quote

"Membership length for Support and Updates: 1 year from time of purchase"
which clearly states that updates are only available for the period of your membership. This has always been (and documented as being) the case.

Licensing is irrelevant once your membership has expired because licensing a site simply makes it possible to update the plugin automatically though the WordPress plugin admin capabilities but once your membership period has expired then you are no longer entitled to updates (as per the membership detail). BackupBuddy will continue working as-is and you can continue to use whatever version you currently have at the expiry of your membership as well as install and use it in new sites if you require.

We are sorry if there was any confusion over this but this has always been documented and publicly available and the pre-sales forum is also available for any queries of a technical nature and sales will always answer any membership related queries.

There are discounts available for renewing/returning Customers and sales will be happy to advise you on this, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

Well, it wasn't obvious Jeremy. But I see, there is no way you are going to listen to your users. For that reason, Im leaving.

#13 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi Barnabas

Thanks for your update.

I am unclear how we are failing to listen to you? We have not in any way misrepresented the membership detail to you as it clearly states (as it always has) that support and updates and available only for the duration of the membership and I have explained in great detail the relationship between the membership and licensing and that the licensing of a site is incidental to the actual availability of updates (whether that be through the WordPress plugin admin update mechanism or through download and installation from your Member Panel) which are governed by the duration of the membership period as noted in the membership details. This is a common model used by premium plugin/theme providers.

The refund policy is (and has always been) clearly stated and you are always free to ask for any clarification on anything prior to any purchase. Again our refund policy is that which is common to premium plugin/theme providers.

Whilst we are sorry to see you go we of course understand that you need to follow whatever path you see fit and we of course respect your decision and hope that you find a solution that fits your particular needs. Should you decide to return to using iThemes products in future then by all means please contact Sales for information on any discounts available for returning Customers, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."


#14 mdbrand

mdbrand

    Member

  • Members
  • Others: All Plugins
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

My understanding as well was that the purchase was for unlimited use and ONLY support was good for a year.  But it looks like that's not true AND it looks like I'm not the only one to have had this misleading message move me to purchase :(

#15 barnabasnagy

barnabasnagy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

 Jeremy Trask, on 10 February 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Hi Barnabas

Thanks for your update.

I am unclear how we are failing to listen to you? We have not in any way misrepresented the membership detail to you as it clearly states (as it always has) that support and updates and available only for the duration of the membership and I have explained in great detail the relationship between the membership and licensing and that the licensing of a site is incidental to the actual availability of updates (whether that be through the WordPress plugin admin update mechanism or through download and installation from your Member Panel) which are governed by the duration of the membership period as noted in the membership details. This is a common model used by premium plugin/theme providers.

The refund policy is (and has always been) clearly stated and you are always free to ask for any clarification on anything prior to any purchase. Again our refund policy is that which is common to premium plugin/theme providers.

Whilst we are sorry to see you go we of course understand that you need to follow whatever path you see fit and we of course respect your decision and hope that you find a solution that fits your particular needs. Should you decide to return to using iThemes products in future then by all means please contact Sales for information on any discounts available for returning Customers, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

Of course you understand how it works. Because you work at iThemes. That's your job to understand. But what you guys fail to understand is that your marketing messages were misleading and it seems not only for me...

Guys, I'm now at WorpDrive and it's a sound backup solution with 14GB space.

#16 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hi mdbrand

The Membership Subscription details state:

- Membership length for Support and Updates: 1 year from time of purchase

and if you required any clarification on that the FAQ states:

What does one year of updates and support mean? Your theme or plugin purchase includes a one-year membership subscription to product updates and support. Unless otherwise noted, this membership includes immediate access to all new versions and features released for your theme or plugin during your subscription year. The membership model is the best way we can provide top-tier support, maintain theme and plugin compatibility with WordPress updates and add requested features and enhancements. After the one-year mark, your theme or plugin is still yours to use and keep, but you will no longer have access to updates or the support forum. You would need to renew your membership license to maintain your subscription to get access to updates and support (much like a magazine subscription). We offer customer loyalty discounts for renewals. Visit the iThemes Licensing page for more details.

As noted you can continue to use your theme/plugin (BackupBuddy in this case) for as long as you like after the expiry of your membership period but you no longer have access to support and updates. You can continue to use it on as many sites as you might already have and if you want to you can install it on additional sites as well. As is frequently noted in many support topics it is not required that BackupBuddy be licenced to function so when a license become invalid at the end of a membership subscription period BackupBuddy will continue to function.

This information has always been freely available. The Sales contact is always available if you have any question before or after purchase concerning your membership subscription. The pre-sales forum is always available for any technical questions prior to purchase of any theme/plugin membership subscription.

@Barnabas - happy to hear you found a solution for your particular needs.

As this is a technical support forum and this is not a technical support question and it is not even in relation to the plugin that this specific forum applies to this topic will now be closed.

If you have any additional questions or clarifications required concerning your current, expired or potential future membership then please direct them through the proper channels using the Contact page or Sales email contact, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."